Burgh Castle caravan plans delayed
PLANS to replace 89 touring pitches with 38 static caravansat Burgh Castle have been delayed to enable archaeological research on the site close to one of the country's best preserved Roman forts.
PLANS to replace 89 touring pitches with 38 static caravans
at Burgh Castle have been delayed to enable archaeological research on the site close to one of the country's best preserved Roman forts.
Park Resorts withdrew its planning application after hearing that English Heritage was insisting on the work, probably involving test trenches at first, before the application was determined.
The application has raised concerns locally about the impact on the already overloaded sewage system for a longer period since static units are usually available for 10 or 11 months of the year.
You may also want to watch:
Dean Minns, senior planner at Great Yarmouth Borough Council, said that English Heritage was concerned about any archaeological remains on the site and about the impact on the 90-acre setting of the fort which it looks after.
The application relates to the Yare Village side of the Breydon Water Holiday Park off Butt Lane.
- 1 All you need to know about Yarmouth's first fair in the park
- 2 Airport-style security coming to seafront club amid spiking fears
- 3 Man who died after a medical episode in Hopton identified
- 4 'Glagoon' returns to Norfolk beach and locals are loving it
- 5 More than 31,000 tickets sold for Fire on the Water
- 6 Potters Resort expands into Essex after acquiring new site
- 7 Spiking in Great Yarmouth club last weekend
- 8 Schoolchildren driving Covid rates across Yarmouth
- 9 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 10 Driver fined for drifting off road and hitting fence
In a report due to be considered by councillors on Tuesday before it was withdrawn, English Heritage advised rejecting the application because of the visual impact on the fort and the likelihood of any finds being of national importance.
It suggested in a letter that the developers look elsewhere within their site for permanent berths.
Craig Hulme, regional director for Park Resorts, told the Mercury last month that the investment would improve the experience of visitors to the park and boost the local economy.