‘It’s been manic’ - seaside bakery takes deliveries to your door
- Credit: Scratby Bakery
A village bakery has gone mobile, delivering fresh bread, cakes, pies, and sausage rolls to your door.
Scratby Bakery took to four wheels after the coronavirus lockdown saw a dramatic drop in trade - and they have been swamped with orders.
Husband and wife team Neil and Kim Brown said they were baking up to five times more than usual to keep up with demand, with ovens on through the night and deliveries under way in the early morning.
The effort means the business can keep going, and, importantly, loyal customers can stay inside and stay safe, as well as enjoying freshly baked bread.
MORE: ‘Stay at home, tune in’ - Local singers livestreaming gigs during coronavirus lockdownThe couple took over the business in October after several years running a seasonal fish and chip shop in Hemsby, Brown’s Plaice.
When the bakery owners retired they offered to show Mr and Mrs Brown the ropes and the novice bakers rose to the challenge.
“We had been really busy but we noticed quite a downturn after the lockdown,” Mr Brown said.
You may also want to watch:
“So we thought about what we could do to diversify.
“I spoke to one of my good friends James Taylor of Perfect Pixel Media and he set up a website in just a few hours, I wouldn’t have had a clue, and he is helping with the delivery too.
- 1 Police searching for Patricia Holland believe her to be dead
- 2 Man re-arrested over murder of missing 83-year-old Pat Holland
- 3 'Something really fresh for Great Yarmouth' - Empire ready to re-open
- 4 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 5 Appeal to find missing man from London last seen at Norfolk campsite
- 6 7 big projects in Great Yarmouth and when they are happening
- 7 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 8 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 9 Shop to reopen after fire which caused 'significant' damage
- 10 Best friend pays tribute to missing woman, describing her as a 'lovely lady'
“Since going live it’s been manic. In the first 15 minutes we had five orders and then 63 for the morning.
“It’s not the cooking it’s the proofing that takes the time.
“A lot of my regular customers are older and a lot of them are self isolating, and a lot of young people too.
“It’s an opportunity for us to help them and they can help us too.
“If they need stuff we are quite willing to get it for them.
“It is something new and people are not going to bother to order every day, I am sure it will die down.”
Mr Brown, 55, said friends were poised to help with the free delivery service operating in the NR29 postcode area, helping them should there be an even bigger spike in demand.
The shop in Beach Road The shop in Beach Road will close temporarily on Friday, March 27.
Visit www.scratbybakery.co.uk to find out more.