Bike rack invention kickstarts worldwide interest
- Credit: Archant
A former East Norfolk Sixth Form College student is attracting worldwide interest and investment for his invention of what’s claimed to be ‘the world’s smallest bike rack’.
James Mallion (pictured), 28, whose parents live in Lowestoft Road, Gorleston moved to Canada a year ago and joined Hurdler Design Studios in the centre of Vancouver. He and his two colleagues are keen cyclists – but found storing the bikes in their office was getting in their way. They decided to find an answer.
James, Hurdler’s industrial design manager, came up with the tidy solution in the form of an unobtrusive wall mounted plastic clip, the Clug, which enables bikes to be stored or hung up.
He used the latest 3D technology both in the design and also for manufacture, since the Clug can be produced on a 3D printer.
The design also includes packaging and fixing instructions which are part of the container. Customers will be able to buy the clip, or download the designs to manufacture them on their own 3D printers.
You may also want to watch:
The Clug was launched last month using Kickstarter to raise the finance. This method of ‘crowd funding’ allows people to invest small amounts or pre-order the product.
To meet the Kickstarter target a minimum of $30,000 was required with a deadline of a month, but the amount was reached in the first week and rose to $108,000 with interest spreading all over the world.
- 1 'Glagoon' returns to Norfolk beach and locals are loving it
- 2 All you need to know about Yarmouth's first fair in the park
- 3 Airport-style security coming to seafront club amid spiking fears
- 4 Man who died after a medical episode in Hopton identified
- 5 Spiking in Great Yarmouth club last weekend
- 6 Potters Resort expands into Essex after acquiring new site
- 7 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 8 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 9 Schoolchildren driving Covid rates across Yarmouth
- 10 No further action over arson and fraud allegation at care home
James said it was exciting to see the way the backing grew from the minute they launched.
He said they could now move on to large scale manufacture and had already expanded the range. Visit www.getclug.com for more details.