Caister ‘supersize’ store plans on hold
A PLANNING application for a supersized Tesco store in Caister will not now be submitted until the new year at the earliest.
Developer Tamsland was hoping to apply to Yarmouth Borough Council this summer to redevelop the Yarmouth Road superstore, but these plans have now been put back to allow for a second public consultation to take place later this year.
However, Tamsland director Nick Wright denied the second consultation, taking the form of a poster drive and exhibition, was the result of a poor response to the first in December, attended by 150 residents.
He added: “We were very pleased with the positive feedback and we were encouraged that the overall scheme appears to have the backing of the local residents.
“If, during the initial public consultation period, we take feedback from the public and it means revising some of the plans then we make take a while to amend our plans accordingly to address any further concerns that people may have.”
You may also want to watch:
A new �1m village hall will be created as part of the plans to increase the size of the existing store by a third, providing a 50,000 sq ft shop space.
The new store will be created on an area of council-owned grassland on the other side of the access road to the current store.
- 1 Projects to restore axed rail routes get £794m boost
- 2 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 3 Out on the beat - we join police Covid patrol on the seafront
- 4 Businesses shut by lockdown to get one-off payment of up to £9,000
- 5 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 6 Police close probe into 'terrifying' Armani armed robbery
- 7 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
- 8 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 9 Number of coronavirus deaths passes 1,000 at Norfolk's hospitals
- 10 Firearms collector, 72, jailed for having illegal shotgun and pistol
The current car park will be extended to take the land occupied by the current Tesco, providing enough space for 350 cars.
The village’s youth centre in Yarmouth Road will be demolished and replaced with the new village hall.
The entrance to the new store will face the access road which will remain so customers travelling by car will have to cross the road to get to the supermarket.