Now and then photos show how much a boutique shopping arcade has changed
With the new owners of a historic shopping mall pulling out all the stops to make it work again we thought we would take a wander down memory lane.
Great Yarmouth's Victoria Arcade remains an icon of roaring twenties architecture, from an age when boutique shopping was the last word in luxury leisure activities.
Today, with retail facing numerous assaults, it has struggled to recapture its heyday and a new push hopes to see it reinvented as a hub for new business.
MORE: 'It feels like a new beginning' - Bid to bring buzz back to historic shopping arcadeA dip into the Archant archives brings old names back to life, with sports shop Mobbs and fashion boutique Kay Crawford among arcade staples from yesteryear.
Our picture from 1981 shows shoes, sports, an opticians, drug store, snack bar, jewellers, and haberdashery drawing impressive numbers to the 1925-built arcade.
MORE: Ten things that have changed in Great Yarmouth in the last decadeAnother image from 1985 shows a health food shop and florists, a pet shop visible at the end, all trimmed up for Christmas.
An undated picture from when it was called Central Arcade (pre 1987) shows Freeman Hardy and Willis shoe shop with an impressive number of shoppers bustling by.
Meanwhile a photo of Kay Crawford Fashions also shows Sylvia's florists and a pet shop.
You may also want to watch:
Let us know in the comments which shops you remember.
- 1 Furious villagers claim chicken farm was approved 'under the radar'
- 2 Funding worth £98m secured for Yarmouth's Third River Crossing
- 3 'Magna Carta is no defence' - Man caught fishing illegally on Broads
- 4 Bid for 33 homes approved as councillors rebel against recommendation
- 5 Woman's third bid to have guesthouse converted into HMO rejected
- 6 Beach and dunes depleted by 'massive forces' as high tides hit
- 7 'We will have to work at it' - mixed reaction as Great Yarmouth in tier 2
- 8 Hospital death toll from Covid-19 passes 150
- 9 What does tier two mean for you? Step-by-step guide to new rules
- 10 'I think it's pretty fair' - Great Yarmouth people react to Tier 2 announcement