Town centre bakery closes
- Credit: Archant
A town centre bakery which offered customers a mix of traditional English and Portuguese treats has closed three months after opening.
Martha's Bakes & Cakes replaced the popular JD Bales Bakery in Northgate Street, Great Yarmouth, earlier this year.
Despite impressing residents with its extravagant cakes and colourful cupcakes it closed at the end of September having opened in June.
Owner of the bakery, Marta Pereira, said the shop was popular to start off with but trade tailed off in the summer.
In a post on its Facebook page which announced the closure, Martha's Bakes & Cakes, said: "With sadness we come here to tell our customers that our shop has closed permanently.
"A big thank you to the many, many, customers we had during the months.
You may also want to watch:
"It was very good to meet you all."
Neighbouring business described the bakery's closure as a "big shame".
JD Bales had traded in the town for more than a century before it shut its doors for the final time in February this year.
- 1 Man 'helping police with inquiries' in search for missing woman
- 2 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 3 Man arrested for murder of still missing 83-year-old
- 4 Police seal in place at home of missing vulnerable 83-year-old
- 5 Lifeguard, 18, saves teenager from drowning in first days on job
- 6 Euro 2020 crowds blamed for Gorleston Covid spike
- 7 Rooms with a view? See two new hotel suites costing £120,000
- 8 Almost two dozen arrests on first Saturday after nightclubs open
- 9 Perfect plaices? Three fish and chip firms go up for sale
- 10 Dismay at appeal ruling on homes bid for site of former registry office