Town centre bakery closes
- Credit: Archant
A town centre bakery which offered customers a mix of traditional English and Portuguese treats has closed three months after opening.
Martha's Bakes & Cakes replaced the popular JD Bales Bakery in Northgate Street, Great Yarmouth, earlier this year.
Despite impressing residents with its extravagant cakes and colourful cupcakes it closed at the end of September having opened in June.
Owner of the bakery, Marta Pereira, said the shop was popular to start off with but trade tailed off in the summer.
In a post on its Facebook page which announced the closure, Martha's Bakes & Cakes, said: "With sadness we come here to tell our customers that our shop has closed permanently.
"A big thank you to the many, many, customers we had during the months.
You may also want to watch:
"It was very good to meet you all."
Neighbouring business described the bakery's closure as a "big shame".
JD Bales had traded in the town for more than a century before it shut its doors for the final time in February this year.
- 1 'An absolute shock' - clifftop cafe closed amid demolition fears
- 2 Firefighters rescue man trapped in crane
- 3 'Nothing worse than shut shops': Relief in Great Yarmouth as lockdown lifts
- 4 Schools in Norfolk closed or partially shut due to coronavirus
- 5 Covid-19 vaccine: who will get it, when and how?
- 6 Cash and jewellery stolen in Gorleston burglary
- 7 Ho, ho...go! Santa sleigh run going ahead with rule of six
- 8 Least used railway station in Britain is in Norfolk
- 9 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
- 10 'How much money has been spent?' - Street lamp lit for 12 years still not fixed