Town centre bakery closes
- Credit: Archant
A town centre bakery which offered customers a mix of traditional English and Portuguese treats has closed three months after opening.
Martha's Bakes & Cakes replaced the popular JD Bales Bakery in Northgate Street, Great Yarmouth, earlier this year.
Despite impressing residents with its extravagant cakes and colourful cupcakes it closed at the end of September having opened in June.
Owner of the bakery, Marta Pereira, said the shop was popular to start off with but trade tailed off in the summer.
In a post on its Facebook page which announced the closure, Martha's Bakes & Cakes, said: "With sadness we come here to tell our customers that our shop has closed permanently.
"A big thank you to the many, many, customers we had during the months.
You may also want to watch:
"It was very good to meet you all."
Neighbouring business described the bakery's closure as a "big shame".
JD Bales had traded in the town for more than a century before it shut its doors for the final time in February this year.
- 1 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 2 Ghostly photos show deserted Yarmouth in lockdown
- 3 Minke whale washes up on beach
- 4 Firearms collector, 72, jailed for having illegal shotgun and pistol
- 5 Projects to restore axed rail routes get £794m boost
- 6 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 7 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 8 Discount hobby shop The Works 'could run out of money'
- 9 Inquest rules 'witty and strong-willed' 26-year-old's death accidental
- 10 Council pay out six claims to drivers after car park ramp damaged vehicles