Town centre bakery closes
- Credit: Archant
A town centre bakery which offered customers a mix of traditional English and Portuguese treats has closed three months after opening.
Martha's Bakes & Cakes replaced the popular JD Bales Bakery in Northgate Street, Great Yarmouth, earlier this year.
Despite impressing residents with its extravagant cakes and colourful cupcakes it closed at the end of September having opened in June.
Owner of the bakery, Marta Pereira, said the shop was popular to start off with but trade tailed off in the summer.
In a post on its Facebook page which announced the closure, Martha's Bakes & Cakes, said: "With sadness we come here to tell our customers that our shop has closed permanently.
"A big thank you to the many, many, customers we had during the months.
You may also want to watch:
"It was very good to meet you all."
Neighbouring business described the bakery's closure as a "big shame".
JD Bales had traded in the town for more than a century before it shut its doors for the final time in February this year.
- 1 'Glagoon' returns to Norfolk beach and locals are loving it
- 2 Spiking in Great Yarmouth club last weekend
- 3 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 4 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 5 Potters Resort expands into Essex after acquiring new site
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 7 'Road to nowhere' after erosion streak at Winterton
- 8 Man who died after a medical episode in Hopton identified
- 9 Norfolk boatyard sells at auction for almost double expected guide price
- 10 No further action over arson and fraud allegation at care home