Town centre bakery closes
- Credit: Archant
A town centre bakery which offered customers a mix of traditional English and Portuguese treats has closed three months after opening.
Martha's Bakes & Cakes replaced the popular JD Bales Bakery in Northgate Street, Great Yarmouth, earlier this year.
Despite impressing residents with its extravagant cakes and colourful cupcakes it closed at the end of September having opened in June.
Owner of the bakery, Marta Pereira, said the shop was popular to start off with but trade tailed off in the summer.
In a post on its Facebook page which announced the closure, Martha's Bakes & Cakes, said: "With sadness we come here to tell our customers that our shop has closed permanently.
"A big thank you to the many, many, customers we had during the months.
You may also want to watch:
"It was very good to meet you all."
Neighbouring business described the bakery's closure as a "big shame".
JD Bales had traded in the town for more than a century before it shut its doors for the final time in February this year.
- 1 'Absolutely crazy' - Beer gardens bustle on first weekend open
- 2 E-scooter riders clock up 10,000 miles in over two weeks
- 3 Toddler found in car not wearing seatbelt and driver had no licence
- 4 'What's not to like?' - Waiting list for beach huts as owners return
- 5 Woman's appeal against condition on pub conversion rejected
- 6 Police on scene in village 'just in case' as person taken to hospital
- 7 Fight back against plans for supermarket 'in wrong place' on A47
- 8 A47 closed after crash as oil and debris cleared up
- 9 7 things you may have missed in Great Yarmouth since lockdown
- 10 Hotel and restaurant for sale for £150,000 less two years on