Great Yarmouth Palace casino application
A GREAT Yarmouth town centre has applied for planning permission to convert its bingo hall into a casino.
Palatial Leisure Ltd has applied to Yarmouth Borough Council for permission to convert the bingo hall in Church Plain into a casino.
The overall existing floor space of the bingo hall is 2,700 sqm and there are no plans to alter this, although the overall bingo use is to remain with a small loss of 10pc of the seating area.
However, the applicants have also stated they intend to use some of the floor space for a sports betting office and an application could be sent in for this at a later date.
The change of use is needed because licensing laws do not allow a casino within a bingo hall, though they do allow a bingo hall in a casino.
The current opening hours, 10.30am to 11pm, will remain the same and there will not be any changes in staffing levels.
Parking provision will also remain the same with a rooftop car park retained for customer and staff use with further public parking available in Church Plain and Fullers Hill.
- 1 Seaside bar taken over for three weeks by Hollywood crew shooting film
- 2 Roadworks will see a Gorleston road closed for three months
- 3 Man died on 50th birthday at Norfolk coastal campsite
- 4 Bid to extend life of quarry in Broads' village to 85 years
- 5 Sammy, 6, finds 'once-in-a-lifetime' rare fossil on beach
- 6 Mayor left waiting as cruise ship can not dock at Yarmouth due to winds
- 7 Six ways Yarmouth wants to solve its housing crisis and 'compete with Norwich'
- 8 Port boss disappointed over cruise ship non-docking
- 9 Gorleston murder accused not yet fit to enter plea
- 10 Cyclists embark on challenge from Gorleston to London
The borough council granted permission for the building to be used as a bingo hall in July 2003 and the hall opened in July 2005.
In 2007, an application was submitted to the council to create the casino within a disused area of the building with staff and customer parkig available on the roof.
A planning officers’ report states the bingo hall and casino have become popular and well used features within the town as a whole.