Great Yarmouth Palace casino application
A GREAT Yarmouth town centre has applied for planning permission to convert its bingo hall into a casino.
Palatial Leisure Ltd has applied to Yarmouth Borough Council for permission to convert the bingo hall in Church Plain into a casino.
The overall existing floor space of the bingo hall is 2,700 sqm and there are no plans to alter this, although the overall bingo use is to remain with a small loss of 10pc of the seating area.
However, the applicants have also stated they intend to use some of the floor space for a sports betting office and an application could be sent in for this at a later date.
The change of use is needed because licensing laws do not allow a casino within a bingo hall, though they do allow a bingo hall in a casino.
You may also want to watch:
The current opening hours, 10.30am to 11pm, will remain the same and there will not be any changes in staffing levels.
Parking provision will also remain the same with a rooftop car park retained for customer and staff use with further public parking available in Church Plain and Fullers Hill.
- 1 Police search undergrowth as man arrested for murder of missing woman
- 2 Man arrested for murder of still missing 83-year-old
- 3 Man jailed for county lines drug dealing in Great Yarmouth
- 4 Man 'helping police with inquiries' in search for missing woman
- 5 Suspected murder victim had 'heart of gold' and 'loved life'
- 6 Rooms with a view? See two new hotel suites costing £120,000
- 7 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 8 7 big projects in Great Yarmouth and when they are happening
- 9 Funding for Hemsby sea defences a 'significant challenge'
- 10 Rail service disrupted after boat hits railway bridge
The borough council granted permission for the building to be used as a bingo hall in July 2003 and the hall opened in July 2005.
In 2007, an application was submitted to the council to create the casino within a disused area of the building with staff and customer parkig available on the roof.
A planning officers’ report states the bingo hall and casino have become popular and well used features within the town as a whole.