New seaside restaurant soars to top of TripAdvisor rankings
- Credit: Archant
A new restaurant has left hundreds of others trailing on a review website just months after opening on the coast.
Rave reviews at Garrod's Bar and Restaurant at the Furzedown Hotel on Great Yarmouth's North Drive have seen it eclipse the competition to be ranked the best in the town on review website TripAdvisor.
Having only opened in May, owner Paul Garrod said he was "very proud" to have clinched the top spot, ranking Garrod's the best out of all 250 registered on the site in the town.
He said: "Mum and dad started the business in 1959 and to open a restaurant to the public and end up number one, or even in the top 10, is an honour.
"We are doing something right and people appreciate us, which is good to know.
You may also want to watch:
"It's not just a job for us, we look forward to getting up and coming to work."
Three generations are involved in the family-run business, including Mr Garrod's mother, his wife Lisa, and son William, who is the general manager.
- 1 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 2 Mystery mural found in back street sparks hunt for artist
- 3 Fire breaks out at care home in the Broads
- 4 Son's concern as Covid hospital patient, 85, moved seven times in two weeks
- 5 Projects to restore axed rail routes get £794m boost
- 6 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 7 Bank says branch still open after 'ominous' sign appears
- 8 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 9 Pressure grows for fixed date for schools to re-open
- 10 Ice warning after freezing temperatures overnight
All the food is cooked fresh.
Mrs Garrod said: "It's not the poshest but for value for money and freshness you are not going to beat it."
Of the 75 reviews, all but one agree it is "excellent", with a single reviewer tagging it "very good" instead.
One diner who ate there two weeks ago said: "Had scallops wrapped in bacon with a little curry sauce - absolutely delicious. "For main had roast lamb and fresh vegetables, very tasty, and of course a bottle of red wine to wash it down with.
"My wife had gammon chips and peas mushroom and tomato - 10 out of 10.
"Staff are very friendly and can't do enough for you, very reasonable prices."
Another said: "Having booked the day before just purely by walking past and looking at the menu, I must say it's the best decision I've made in a long while
"The food is amazing , plentiful and tasty."
Mr Garrod said the 40-cover restaurant was open every night from 6.30pm to 8.30pm.
He said the idea had come from his wife and son.
"We are always here anyway," he said. "The staff were here and we knew we could do it as good as anyone else, and it has just taken off.
"We have a lovely menu, a good chef and a great team."