Fancy dress shop to be converted into flats after more than 50 years of trading
- Credit: Archant
A fancy dress shop which has been trading in a seaside town for more than 50 years is set to be converted into flats.
Owner of Jokers Corner Jerzy Czykieta, 72, is bringing down the curtain on his vast array of outfits and make-up accessories for the final time.
The shop in Nelson Road Central, Great Yarmouth, has been open for three days a week since it announced its plan to close back in January 2018.
Mr Czykieta said he will be sad to lose his shop but has admitted there is now too much competition for him to carry on running a successful business.
“I have had a lot of memories in this place but the time is definitely right to make a change,” he said.
“There are lots of other shops who sell similar items to us so it wouldn’t make sense to carry on.”
There is currently a half price sale on at the shop as the 72-year-old looks to get rid of his remaining stock.
Speaking to this newspaper last year, Mr Czykieta said he had only lost around 10 costumes to damage.
- 1 Everything you need to know ahead of Great Yarmouth Wheels Festival
- 2 What the census tells us about Great Yarmouth
- 3 Renewed bid to bulldoze 'ugly mess' country pub for homes
- 4 Rescue hope for iconic hotel declared 'at risk' by national body
- 5 Carnival fun finally returns to town after Covid disruption
- 6 Great Yarmouth Row focused in arts documentary
- 7 'He was a great guest' - Tyson Fury stays at Gorleston hotel
- 8 Great Yarmouth brain tumour patient to carry Queen's Baton
- 9 How much will Great Yarmouth's new Marina Centre cost?
- 10 Man's death at outer harbour site was an accident, jury concludes
In its heyday the shop supplied many of the hotels, casinos, and bingo halls putting on party nights for guests and staff.
The proposals are for a one bedroom and two bedroom apartment to be installed on the premises.
A decision on the plans is expected to be made by the end of April.