Mary altered life and set up business with NWES help
- Credit: Archant
When Mary Miller’s hours at her day job as a catering assistant were reduced, she turned to her life-long hobby of sewing to increase her income.
She decided to test the market by placing a small advert in a local shop and she her business snowballed. But, realising she needed professional help she turned to NWES shortly afterwards to make sure she started her business – Mary’s Alteration Service – in the right way.
She said: “I can turn my hand to anything from sewing on buttons to revamping a beautiful Moses basket. I am also very experienced at making Halloween costumes!”
But Mary offers much more from the business which she runs from her home: from sewing alterations and repairs to curtain alterations.
Mary added: “I will consider all projects, nothing is too big or too small and because I work from home my overheads are low so I can reflect this in my prices.”
You may also want to watch:
She admits she didn’t have a clue about setting up business and would not have been able to get started without the help of NWES advisers. She recognises she needs to broaden her advertising onto social media and is to set up her own website to give her a window to show what she can offer.
“I love being my own boss, even though you have to work harder,” she said. And her advice to other would-be entrepreneurs is: If you’ve got a good idea that you think would take off, just take a chance and give it a go.
- 1 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 2 'One of a kind' home with golf simulator and gym is for sale for £795,000
- 3 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 4 Drug-dealers caught in undercover police sting
- 5 'Too many holiday homes' - Residents object to conversion bid
- 6 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 7 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 8 Covid case rates continue to fall across Norfolk and Waveney
- 9 £250,000 of cannabis found in two cars on A11
- 10 Knifeman threatened to cut victim's throat if he 'grassed'
“You never know what opportunities are around the corner.”