Gorleston pub to reopen under new management
- Credit: Archant
A Gorleston pub will reopen with a new landlord, it has been confirmed.
The Tramway, on Lowestoft Road, has been closed for more than two weeks, after its former landlord left the business citing financial losses of £22,000.
Martin Bennington, 46, said after he took over the pub there was a transition period, during which its previous customers were leaving and a new clientèle had not yet been established.
"I was losing so much money I couldn't afford to keep the place," Mr Bennington said.
"I lost £22,000, I said enough's enough."
You may also want to watch:
Mr Bennington said the nearby Wetherspoons, on Gorleston High Street, also had a "massive effect".
"When you're tied to a brewery, you are tied to their prices, and we couldn't compete with Wetherspoons," he said.
- 1 Man re-arrested over murder of missing 83-year-old Pat Holland
- 2 'Something really fresh for Great Yarmouth' - Empire ready to re-open
- 3 Police searching for Patricia Holland believe her to be dead
- 4 Pleasure Beach's tropical event ready to launch - and free macs if it rains
- 5 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 6 Appeal to find missing man from London last seen at Norfolk campsite
- 7 7 big projects in Great Yarmouth and when they are happening
- 8 Coastguard joins search for missing London man last seen in Norfolk
- 9 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 10 Best friend pays tribute to missing woman, describing her as a 'lovely lady'
A spokesperson for Ei Publican Partnerships, who own the pub, said: "We plan to reopen the Tramway's Pub in Gorleston as soon as possible with a new operator.
"We would like to reassure customers that we are committed to ensuring that this site remains an attractive and thriving pub at the heart of the local community."
Rumours had circulated on social media that Tesco were looking at the site.
However, a spokesperson said the supermarket is not currently considering opening any new stores in Gorleston.