National gym chain eyes former retail unit
- Credit: Google Maps
A national gym chain with close to 200 branches is looking to take over a former furniture shop in Great Yarmouth.
The Gym Group has submitted plans to bring one of its 24-hour gyms to Unit 2 Pasteur Road, formerly Bensons for Beds and Dreams.
Documents supporting the bid show areas for free weights and cardio resistance, as well as a mezzanine floor.
The unit was created when the building was subdivided in 2004, and has been empty for two years.
A supporting letter says the company is looking to expand across the country with its 24 hour health and fitness centres which it says are typically cheaper than other gyms with flexible membership options.
It adds that on average 35pc of The Gym’s members have not been to a gym before.
The company operates a gym in Lowestoft and two in Norwich.
- 1 Great Yarmouth fashion boss offers free Maldives holiday
- 2 Renewed objections to demolition of pub empty for a decade
- 3 Bid for superbike warehouse bringing 30 jobs shifts to new site
- 4 New operators take over at council-owned leisure centre
- 5 See inside £1.1m Broads' home with own cottage and pool
- 6 Pregnancy joy for slimmer who lost over 6 stone for IVF
- 7 New thrill ride arrives at seaside theme park
- 8 5 classic car shows you can visit in Norfolk this year
- 9 Long stretch of A47 closed overnight due to crash
- 10 Injuries reported after crash closes road in Great Yarmouth
To view the plans visit the borough council's planning portal quoting reference 06/21/0956/PU.
A decision is due by January 24, 2022.