Town centre manager says number of reasons why Primark hasn’t opened in Great Yarmouth
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2018
Great Yarmouth’s town centre boss has admitted talks with retail giant Primark have taken place as a petition to bring the budget chain to the town hit 2,000 signatures.
But Jonathan Newman, town centre manager, said there were a number of reasons that it was yet to make the move.
For years many residents have clamoured to see the fashion retailer in the town with a petition being set up in 2015.
With the town losing several major retailers in recent years - including Marks & Spencer and H.Samuel - the demand has continued to grow.
The online petition has now surpassed 2,100 signatures.
Mr Newman has encouraged those behind the petition to send it to Primark.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "Ultimately the decision is down to the retailer. Approaches to Primark have been made but town centres are having to change what they offer.
"It's not all about attracting national brands.
- 1 Projects to restore axed rail routes get £794m boost
- 2 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 3 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 4 Out on the beat - we join police Covid patrol on the seafront
- 5 Businesses shut by lockdown to get one-off payment of up to £9,000
- 6 Son's concern as Covid hospital patient, 85, moved seven times in two weeks
- 7 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 8 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
- 9 Free scooter hire in town for those getting Covid vaccinations
- 10 Pressure grows for fixed date for schools to re-open
"Conversations have taken place in the past though."
Mr Newman suggested one of the main reasons negotiations hadn't progressed further was because many of the vacant buildings in the town were not big enough for the retailer.
He also said finding a suitable premises in Great Yarmouth that doesn't require a lot of maintenance could also have been a stumbling block.
Jess Denton created the petition 'bring Primark to Great Yarmouth'. She said: "Primark would be ideal as it has everything for everyone on a budget, with a good variety to choose from.
"It would do well here as it's not a rich town and we don't have many clothes shops for all ages."
A spokesman for Primark said it was grateful for the support but it does not comment on future plans.
The spokesman said the UK market was very important to the retailer.
Mr Newman believes attracting major retailers is becoming more and more difficult as many of them are not expanding further.
He did admit having a Primark would help to bring in more shoppers to the town.
The nearest Primark to Great Yarmouth is in Norwich while there is also one in King's Lynn.