Sports star confirmed as VIP for town’s Christmas lights switch-on
- Credit: Archant
From glinting medals to twinkling lights one of Great Yarmouth’s most successful athletes will do the honours at this year’s Christmas switch-on ceremony.
Shot putter Sophie McKinna will take centre stage at the event on Friday, November 29.
The 25-year-old Great Yarmouth and District AC thrower was the first shot putter in 36 years to reach a World Championship final in Doha last month.
Although she missed out on a podium place, on the way she set a personal best throw of 18.61m in qualifying, and her finishing position of 11th in the world was said to be an outstanding performance.
As she prepares to lead the countdown to cue the illuminations she will also be looking towards Olympic success at Tokyo 2020 and hoping the whole town will get behind her giving her a boost.
The switch-on sounds the klaxon for Yarmouth's Christmas shopping season with live entertainment from 5.30pm, the switch-on at 7pm, followed by the fizz-bang of fireworks.
The town's Christmas Fayre and Market will also be underway with new-look lighting said to create a "winter wonderland" shopping experience.
- 1 Council apologises to tenant who lived in mouldy house for years
- 2 Elderly driver taken to hospital after village green crash
- 3 Five Great Yarmouth properties with stunning sea views
- 4 Brick thrown through window in spate of burglaries in Great Yarmouth area
- 5 Tucked-away house in same family for over 100 years up for sale
- 6 Teen who achieved salon dream is national award finalist
- 7 'We need to live our lives' - Mercury survey reveals Covid impact
- 8 Renewed objections to demolition of pub empty for a decade
- 9 Injuries reported after crash closes road in Great Yarmouth
- 10 Great Yarmouth in 2022 - Key trends to look out for this year