Sports star confirmed as VIP for town’s Christmas lights switch-on
- Credit: Archant
From glinting medals to twinkling lights one of Great Yarmouth’s most successful athletes will do the honours at this year’s Christmas switch-on ceremony.
Shot putter Sophie McKinna will take centre stage at the event on Friday, November 29.
The 25-year-old Great Yarmouth and District AC thrower was the first shot putter in 36 years to reach a World Championship final in Doha last month.
Although she missed out on a podium place, on the way she set a personal best throw of 18.61m in qualifying, and her finishing position of 11th in the world was said to be an outstanding performance.
As she prepares to lead the countdown to cue the illuminations she will also be looking towards Olympic success at Tokyo 2020 and hoping the whole town will get behind her giving her a boost.
The switch-on sounds the klaxon for Yarmouth's Christmas shopping season with live entertainment from 5.30pm, the switch-on at 7pm, followed by the fizz-bang of fireworks.
You may also want to watch:
The town's Christmas Fayre and Market will also be underway with new-look lighting said to create a "winter wonderland" shopping experience.
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Thrilling Fire on the Water show to light up Yarmouth
- 3 Spectacular show to light up Great Yarmouth's Venetian Waterways
- 4 One person left with serious injuries after Yarmouth crash
- 5 Police appeal after motorcyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 6 Burglars make off with bird equipment after Great Yarmouth break in
- 7 Councillors in coastal village vow to fight 665 homes bid
- 8 Meet the Yarmouth firm on tonight's Grand Designs
- 9 Hope steps seen in Danny Boyle's Yesterday will get much-needed repairs
- 10 Dog prices stay high after lockdown boom, buyers say