Sports star confirmed as VIP for town’s Christmas lights switch-on
- Credit: Archant
From glinting medals to twinkling lights one of Great Yarmouth’s most successful athletes will do the honours at this year’s Christmas switch-on ceremony.
Shot putter Sophie McKinna will take centre stage at the event on Friday, November 29.
The 25-year-old Great Yarmouth and District AC thrower was the first shot putter in 36 years to reach a World Championship final in Doha last month.
Although she missed out on a podium place, on the way she set a personal best throw of 18.61m in qualifying, and her finishing position of 11th in the world was said to be an outstanding performance.
As she prepares to lead the countdown to cue the illuminations she will also be looking towards Olympic success at Tokyo 2020 and hoping the whole town will get behind her giving her a boost.
The switch-on sounds the klaxon for Yarmouth's Christmas shopping season with live entertainment from 5.30pm, the switch-on at 7pm, followed by the fizz-bang of fireworks.
You may also want to watch:
The town's Christmas Fayre and Market will also be underway with new-look lighting said to create a "winter wonderland" shopping experience.
- 1 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
- 2 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 3 Tributes to 'Winkle' - the legendary landlord who broke the mould
- 4 New wave of beach huts snapped up in Gorleston
- 5 Rogue builder's victims say home is 'finally watertight' one year on
- 6 Mansion for sale for £2.5million with helicopter pad
- 7 Head teacher: 'It's not true that nobody from Great Yarmouth goes to uni'
- 8 Police concerned for welfare of missing 14-year-old girl
- 9 Mystery mural found in back street sparks hunt for artist
- 10 Community garden to close permanently due to Covid funding crisis