Sports star confirmed as VIP for town’s Christmas lights switch-on
- Credit: Archant
From glinting medals to twinkling lights one of Great Yarmouth’s most successful athletes will do the honours at this year’s Christmas switch-on ceremony.
Shot putter Sophie McKinna will take centre stage at the event on Friday, November 29.
The 25-year-old Great Yarmouth and District AC thrower was the first shot putter in 36 years to reach a World Championship final in Doha last month.
Although she missed out on a podium place, on the way she set a personal best throw of 18.61m in qualifying, and her finishing position of 11th in the world was said to be an outstanding performance.
As she prepares to lead the countdown to cue the illuminations she will also be looking towards Olympic success at Tokyo 2020 and hoping the whole town will get behind her giving her a boost.
The switch-on sounds the klaxon for Yarmouth's Christmas shopping season with live entertainment from 5.30pm, the switch-on at 7pm, followed by the fizz-bang of fireworks.
You may also want to watch:
The town's Christmas Fayre and Market will also be underway with new-look lighting said to create a "winter wonderland" shopping experience.
- 1 Four fish and chip shops listed among the best in the country
- 2 Man staged his own kidnap to get ransom from his family
- 3 Watch our virtual tour of Pleasure Beach's new Snails and Fairytales ride
- 4 Council to splash out £1.9m on Great Yarmouth town centre
- 5 Delivery driver fined for 'flagrant' seafront stunt caught on CCTV
- 6 Hotel and restaurant for sale for £150,000 less two years on
- 7 Trio from Great Yarmouth charged with Norwich betting shop robbery
- 8 Asda says redundancy 'last option' for bakery staff
- 9 New surface planned for 'muddy' track popular with walkers
- 10 Deliveroo to launch in Great Yarmouth with 45 restaurants signed up