Sports star confirmed as VIP for town’s Christmas lights switch-on
- Credit: Archant
From glinting medals to twinkling lights one of Great Yarmouth’s most successful athletes will do the honours at this year’s Christmas switch-on ceremony.
Shot putter Sophie McKinna will take centre stage at the event on Friday, November 29.
The 25-year-old Great Yarmouth and District AC thrower was the first shot putter in 36 years to reach a World Championship final in Doha last month.
Although she missed out on a podium place, on the way she set a personal best throw of 18.61m in qualifying, and her finishing position of 11th in the world was said to be an outstanding performance.
As she prepares to lead the countdown to cue the illuminations she will also be looking towards Olympic success at Tokyo 2020 and hoping the whole town will get behind her giving her a boost.
The switch-on sounds the klaxon for Yarmouth's Christmas shopping season with live entertainment from 5.30pm, the switch-on at 7pm, followed by the fizz-bang of fireworks.
You may also want to watch:
The town's Christmas Fayre and Market will also be underway with new-look lighting said to create a "winter wonderland" shopping experience.
- 1 Police search undergrowth as man arrested for murder of missing woman
- 2 Man arrested for murder of still missing 83-year-old
- 3 Man jailed for county lines drug dealing in Great Yarmouth
- 4 Man 'helping police with inquiries' in search for missing woman
- 5 Suspected murder victim had 'heart of gold' and 'loved life'
- 6 Rooms with a view? See two new hotel suites costing £120,000
- 7 7 big projects in Great Yarmouth and when they are happening
- 8 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 9 Funding for Hemsby sea defences a 'significant challenge'
- 10 Rail service disrupted after boat hits railway bridge