Cinema to reopen following multi-million pound investment from new operators
- Credit: Archant
Residents in Great Yarmouth have been promised the best cinematic experience in East Anglia after it was announced the Royalty cinema would reopen under new operators following a multimillion-pound investment.
The Irish-based Arc Cinema group is to take over the running of the former Hollywood cinema in Marine Parade, which has been empty since February this year.
Visitors to the cinema, which will reopen in the final couple of months of this year can expect a "luxury" experience as plans for recliner seating, a new state-of-the-art sound system and 4k digital projection take shape.
Peter Jay, the building's owner, said he was thrilled with the news.
"I'm delighted this rapidly expanding chain have put faith in our seaside resort to invest several million pounds," Mr Jay said.
"They have realised Yarmouth is on the up and will become one of Britain's premier resorts once again.
"I don't expect it to be open for this season, but it will give Great Yarmouth probably the best cinema experience in all of East Anglia,"
The building has a long history of entertainment stretching back to the 1900s, and the cinema's closure earlier this year was met by huge disappointment.
The Hollywood cinemas based in Great Yarmouth and Norwich closed after the chain fell into administration.
- 1 New York, Paris, Peckham, Great Yarmouth - Only Fools stars coming to town
- 2 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 3 New seafront festival promises feast of family fun
- 4 Access road for driveways denied to Gorleston residents
- 5 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 6 Pupils 'not afraid to share ideas' - School praised by Ofsted
- 7 Green light for quarry's expansion and longer life
- 8 Four men arrested following altercation by Great Yarmouth pub
- 9 New Norfolk café is selling out of its custard tarts and Nutella-filled croissants
- 10 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
The Arc Cinema group is currently opening a number of sites in the UK, and says it specialises in creating high-quality cinemas to serve local communities.
Brian Gilligan of Arc Cinema said: "Great Yarmouth is an amazing leisure destination with a fantastic history, so we're really excited to have the opportunity to bring The Arc Cinema's offer to the local community and visitors.
"The Royalty has long been at the heart of entertainment in Great Yarmouth, and we're delighted to be able to play a part in revitalising it.
"Our legions of loyal fans love the fact that we offer a luxurious VIP experience."
Memorabilia from when stars including Cilla Black, Michael Barrymore and Freddie Starr performed at the building will feature around the cinema.
Jays UK director Jack Jay said: "We are delighted to have leased our fabulous building to such a forward-looking company and to invest in the future of our town.
"This new cinema will provide an unrivalled cinematic experience for locals and visitors alike."