Cinema to reopen following multi-million pound investment from new operators
- Credit: Archant
Residents in Great Yarmouth have been promised the best cinematic experience in East Anglia after it was announced the Royalty cinema would reopen under new operators following a multimillion-pound investment.
The Irish-based Arc Cinema group is to take over the running of the former Hollywood cinema in Marine Parade, which has been empty since February this year.
Visitors to the cinema, which will reopen in the final couple of months of this year can expect a "luxury" experience as plans for recliner seating, a new state-of-the-art sound system and 4k digital projection take shape.
Peter Jay, the building's owner, said he was thrilled with the news.
"I'm delighted this rapidly expanding chain have put faith in our seaside resort to invest several million pounds," Mr Jay said.
You may also want to watch:
"They have realised Yarmouth is on the up and will become one of Britain's premier resorts once again.
"I don't expect it to be open for this season, but it will give Great Yarmouth probably the best cinema experience in all of East Anglia,"
The building has a long history of entertainment stretching back to the 1900s, and the cinema's closure earlier this year was met by huge disappointment.
The Hollywood cinemas based in Great Yarmouth and Norwich closed after the chain fell into administration.
- 1 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 2 'One of a kind' home with golf simulator and gym is for sale for £795,000
- 3 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 4 Drug-dealers caught in undercover police sting
- 5 'Too many holiday homes' - Residents object to conversion bid
- 6 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 7 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 8 Covid case rates continue to fall across Norfolk and Waveney
- 9 £250,000 of cannabis found in two cars on A11
- 10 Knifeman threatened to cut victim's throat if he 'grassed'
The Arc Cinema group is currently opening a number of sites in the UK, and says it specialises in creating high-quality cinemas to serve local communities.
Brian Gilligan of Arc Cinema said: "Great Yarmouth is an amazing leisure destination with a fantastic history, so we're really excited to have the opportunity to bring The Arc Cinema's offer to the local community and visitors.
"The Royalty has long been at the heart of entertainment in Great Yarmouth, and we're delighted to be able to play a part in revitalising it.
"Our legions of loyal fans love the fact that we offer a luxurious VIP experience."
Memorabilia from when stars including Cilla Black, Michael Barrymore and Freddie Starr performed at the building will feature around the cinema.
Jays UK director Jack Jay said: "We are delighted to have leased our fabulous building to such a forward-looking company and to invest in the future of our town.
"This new cinema will provide an unrivalled cinematic experience for locals and visitors alike."