Who needs the World Cup when we have got the Caister Carnival!
- Credit: Archant
A village carnival has been hailed a success in bringing the community together in a celebration of fun.
The Caister Carnival was held on Sunday afternoon and saw several well received performances from the likes of Caister School of Dance, the Soundwave Singers and the Caister Coastwatch shanty singers.
Mad Dogs organised a dog show and the Caister WI provided food and cakes and there was a wide array of stalls.
There had been fears that the England v Panama World Cup game would affect the number of people attending, but those fears proved unfounded.
Kevin Wood, from Caister Parish Council, said: “We started planning Caister Carnival before Christmas so the date was set before we were aware England would be playing an important World Cup game on the day with a 1pm kick off.
“We were a little worried as the day got closer as to what effect the game would have on carnival numbers, these worries were without foundation as it was a great day with large crowds throughout the day.
“The people of Caister came out to support the day. We wanted to make it a day for the community by the community.
- 1 New York, Paris, Peckham, Great Yarmouth - Only Fools stars coming to town
- 2 New Norfolk café is selling out of its custard tarts and Nutella-filled croissants
- 3 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 4 Village gets together to repair empty home for Ukrainian refugees
- 5 New seafront festival promises feast of family fun
- 6 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 7 Fly-tipping mattresses costs mother and son over £1,000
- 8 Norfolk police officer goes on the run to win £100,000 on Hunted
- 9 Roadworks to be aware of in and around Great Yarmouth this week
- 10 Consultant maps his medical journey
“It was a very successful day and we already talking about how we make it bigger and better next year.
“It was a true community effort our aim was to bring the community together and despite the football we did that.”