Couple who began romance aged 13 allow wedding guests to watch England match during vows
- Credit: Matt Tattersall
A couple that began their romance aged 13 will tie the knot this weekend, with their family and friends looking on... Partially.
That’s because Matthew Tattersall and Christina Morgan have allowed their 50 day guests to watch the England versus Sweden match during their Great Yarmouth wedding reception and ceremony.
The pair who live in Caister met in Doncaster aged 13, and then went on to marry other people and have children in their adult lives. But after meeting at the Great Yarmouth motorbike festival last year, the couple picked up where they left of and will be marrying a year on to the day.
Mr Tattersall, 44, said: “It was a strange mix of emotions watching the Colombia match, because half of you wanted England to win, and the other half didn’t want the headache of having to work out what we’d do if the next game was during our wedding.”
The railway worker continued: “Christina’s family are massive football fans, so we knew people would have their phones watching it on silent or hiding earphones, so we just thought we’d tell people they could watch it.”
Mr Tattersall, a father of four, continued: “There was no way we could plan for this. If the group stages had gone differently this match would’ve been on Friday. We began planning the wedding about eight weeks ago, so it has been quite quick!”
He continued: “I’m really excited for the wedding. All the kids get on, my four and her three, and it’s like we were never apart.
- 1 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
- 2 Work begins on £3m Great Yarmouth council flats development
- 3 Drone shots show British warship anchored off Yarmouth ahead of Jubilee
- 4 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 5 Man stopped by police while driving day after admitting he had no licence
- 6 Vets expanding to garage site amid surge in new animal owners
- 7 Great Yarmouth Pride march postponed amid council criticism
- 8 Your chance to run a takeaway pitch on Gorleston seafront
- 9 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 10 Pleasure Beach to hold fireworks spectacular for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
“I remember her thirteenth birthday party. My family and I were supposed to be going on holiday, but I kicked up a teenage fuss about it because I didn’t want to miss my girlfriend’s party.
“My mum took my brother and my Dad and I went the day after. When I told my mum I’d seen Christina she said: ‘Oh, the girl with the birthday in April.’”
The pair will be having their ceremony at the Great Yarmouth Town Hall, followed by a wedding reception at a nearby hotel.
Mr Tattersall added: “I tried to convince Christina to let me where a sequined England tie for the game, but she wasn’t having any of it.”