Caister couple's Golden celebrations
A CAISTER couple who swept each other off their feet as young dance partners are celebrating their golden wedding anniversary today.Derek and Patricia Barker fell in love after pairing up as teenage rollerskaters for the outdoor summer shows at the Winter Gardens in Great Yarmouth.
A CAISTER couple who swept each other off their feet as young dance partners are celebrating their golden wedding anniversary today.
Derek and Patricia Barker fell in love after pairing up as teenage rollerskaters for the outdoor summer shows at the Winter Gardens in Great Yarmouth.
Love quickly blossomed and the Derek and Patricia walked down the aisle at St Mary's Church Southtown on June 11, 1960.
Married life spelled the end of their rollerskating days, but the devoted couple have remained very much in step ever since.
You may also want to watch:
Derek, 72, worked as custom and excise clerk at Great Yarmouth Shipping Company and Patricia, 73, an administrator at Eastern Electricity.
They have two children, Karen a sister at Ipswich Hospital and Ivan a computer consultant and two grandchildren Steven and Sarah.
- 1 Third teenager arrested over Yarmouth park stabbing
- 2 Tesco applies to sell alcohol from pub site
- 3 Seaside cafe opens new toy library for dogs
- 4 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 5 Thrilling Fire on the Water show to light up Yarmouth
- 6 Crowds pour on to streets to enjoy light and sound display
- 7 They started life in lockdown - but how are these businesses doing now?
- 8 Gorleston high street closed this week for emergency gas works
- 9 Award-winning Halloween event returns to Great Yarmouth this half term
- 10 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
Both were ten pin bowlers for many years and Derek is still a keen golfer.
Friends and relatives will be attending Derek and Patricia's anniversary celebration at the Old Hall, Caister tomorrow.
Patricia said: “We would dance every Thursday during the summer when crowds of people would come and watch and took part in pairs' competitions all over the country.
“The secret of a successful marriage is a bit of give and take, we are the best of friends and have never been the types to argue or shout.”
Derek added: “It wasn't a whirlwind romance, I had a girlfriend and Patricia had a boyfriend when we met and got together on the rebound.”