Calls for road markings after child involved in car accident
- Credit: Archant
Residents are campaigning for improvements to road markings on a street after a crash involving two cars.
Angela Williams, who lives in Austin Road, set up a petition demanding a better junction between her street and Empress Road in Cobholm, which currently has no road markings.
In the online petition she wrote: “People driving down Empress Road don’t stop and look before driving into Austin Road. I personally have nearly been in an accident due to people not stopping and looking when approaching Austin Road.”
She was spurred into starting a campaign after an crash last weekend which resulted in a child needing hospital treatment.
County councillor for Southtown and Cobholm, Rex Parkinson-Hare, said he would visit the crash site to see the situation for himself and see if there was anything he could do to help.
He added: “I understand the concern, the fact is that people are far too cavalier on the roads.
“I’m certainly in favour of much more care being taken on the road, I see terrible driving everyday.”
- 1 'Well-respected' tattoo artist died at home after taking cocaine
- 2 Car flips on to roof in three-vehicle crash in Yarmouth
- 3 Free open top bus tours to show off Great Yarmouth's seafront
- 4 CCTV released of Great Yarmouth man whose body part was found on beach
- 5 Former Game store earmarked as enterprise hub
- 6 Alcohol seized during police town centre community patrols
- 7 Council defends cost of £70 posy vases amid criticism
- 8 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 9 Six ways Yarmouth wants to solve its housing crisis and 'compete with Norwich'
- 10 TV show filmed in Norfolk starring Ainsley Harriott to air this month
So far the petition has been signed 122 times. One signatory wrote: “There needs to be a junction because the road is so dangerous, people come flying around the corner and they will never know what’s coming round the corner, it could be a child on their bike.”
Another anonymous responder said her little sister was involved in an accident at the same location, adding: “Something must be done.”
To sign the petition, go to: www.thepetitionsite.com/816/243/222/demand-a-junction-between-empress-rd-and-austin-rd-in-cobholm-great-yarmouth