Search

Canaries' Jones gig 'own goal'

PUBLISHED: 12:44 29 May 2010 | UPDATED: 17:54 30 June 2010

A GREAT Yarmouth couple have spoken of their disappointment at having their silver wedding anniversary plans to see Tom Jones live being dashed.

John and Bobby Lavan, of Northgate Street had been due to see the Welsh singer perform in Norwich on June 5 as part of a weekend long celebrations to mark the 25th anniversary of their wedding.

A GREAT Yarmouth couple have spoken of their disappointment at having their silver wedding anniversary plans to see Tom Jones live being dashed.

John and Bobby Lavan, of Northgate Street had been due to see the Welsh singer perform in Norwich on June 5 as part of a weekend long celebrations to mark the 25th anniversary of their wedding.

However the couple's plans have been thrown into disarray after Jones' gig at Norwich City's Carrow Road ground was cancelled on Monday.

The concert was cancelled as the football club, known as the Canaries, decided to install an extra 1,000 seats at Carrow Road instead of hosting the singing legend.

Mrs Lavan has been a fan of the Welsh singer since 1964 and had last seen him live 20 years ago.

Mr Lavan, 67, from Northgate Street, said: “I am disgusted. The club must have known about the work when they booked him.

“We were getting excited about the weekend and that feeling has been destroyed. We are feeling so deflated. It is a horrible feeling.”

Another Tom Jones fan, Kim Russell, 53, from Sutton and who works for a Yarmouth recruitment agency, had also booked tickets to see Jones.

She said: “The decision taken by Norwich City to cancel the Tom Jones concert at such a late stage shows nothing but contempt and arrogance for those local people who booked in good faith to see this great performer.

The world contrary to public opinion does not revolve around football.

“As you can imagine I am hugely disappointed - it is an own goal scored by Norwich City.”

Norwich City says anyone who purchased a ticket through seetickets.com and Carrow Road for the June 5 concert will get a full refund including the booking fee.

Norwich City chief executive Alan Bowkett said the work to bring Carrow Road capacity up to 27,000 was needed to ensure that Canaries fans do not miss out on seeing their promoted team play in the Championship again.

He said: “We obviously sincerely apologise to all those people who had purchased tickers to come and see Tom Jones.

“The work necessary to bring about expansion is extensive and involves more than one stand at the stadium so we need to get cracking right away.

“Unfortunately it is simply not viable to host thousands for a pop concert while that work gets underway.”

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Great Yarmouth Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists