Cat swallowed miniature Christmas tree
A taste for Christmas proved too much for cat Leah when she became seriously ill - after swallowing a miniature tree. The peckish puss's sickness mystified PDSA vets until tests revealed a discarded Christmas tree decoration as the 'root' cause.
A taste for Christmas proved too much for cat Leah when she became seriously ill - after swallowing a miniature tree.
The peckish puss's sickness mystified PDSA vets until tests revealed a discarded Christmas tree decoration as the 'root' cause.
Leah's owner Claire Smith noticed the one�-year-old cat was losing weight, suffering from chronic sickness and looking poorly, but had no idea why.
It was only when vets at Middlesbrough PDSA PetAid hospital investigated the problem that an x-ray revealed a perfectly formed miniature Christmas tree in her abdomen.
You may also want to watch:
PDSA Head Nurse Stephanie Williams said: “Various conditions can cause chronic vomiting and weight loss in cats so there were several possibilities to explain Leah's symptoms. However the last thing we expected to see was a Christmas tree staring back at us on the x-ray! Even small foreign bodies can cause so much trouble in pets.”
Leah underwent surgery to remove the tiny tree, which had actually split into two pieces, and was kept in overnight for observation before returning home.
- 1 New Banksy-style mural adds to town's crop of street art
- 2 Historic pub poised for mini-market use bringing 20 jobs
- 3 'Very high risk' paedophile who groomed 12-year-old has sentence doubled
- 4 Two people injured in A47 crash
- 5 ‘Can you let me off?’ pleads driver doing 90mph in 50mph zone
- 6 'A wonderful place': A look back at Gorleston's 'second high street'
- 7 Rovers return? New landlords relaunch village pub with parties and Sunday lunches for dogs
- 8 Man sought help for ADHD before his death, inquest hears
- 9 Inquest begins into death of decorator who died at home
- 10 Photo gallery: Memories of the lost lido at Gorleston seafront
Leah's owner Claire Smith added: “It was fantastic to see Leah after the operation and to take her home, knowing that the cause of her illness had been treated and she could recover.
“I was very surprised when the vets told me that Leah had swallowed a Christmas tree. I can see the lighter side of it now but it was a very stressful period. Now I make sure that nothing is left lying around that Leah can get her paws on.”
PDSA Senior veterinary Surgeon Sean Wensley said: “We always see cases of swallowed 'foreign objects' around Christmas time. We urge all pet owners to look around their home, room by room, identifying any dangers to their pets. These can include decorations, toys, lighting, shiny objects and turkey bones.”
“Think of your pet as a curious child and make sure that anything potentially dangerous is safe and out of reach. Make sure that any uneaten food and other tempting items are put in a secure lidded waste bin. Pets can be very inquisitive and can eat the most unexpected things - a hazard more prevalent at this time of year! Christmas trees can be pulled down by curious cats - and chocolate, potentially poisonous to pets, can be too attractive!
“Just by taking a few simple measures you can enjoy a happy and safe Christmas with your pet during the festive period.”