Choose your treatment carefully this bank holiday weekend
PEOPLE from across Great Yarmouth and Waveney are being urged to choose the best place for treatment for minor injuries and illnesses during the bank holiday weekend.
Rather than go to A&E or their GP practice, people feeling unwell can seek advice and treatment from their pharmacy, minor injuries unit or walk-in centre.
They can also call NHS Direct on 0845 4647 or visit www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk
People can get help and advice on accessing GP services when their surgery is shut by calling the out-of-hours number, run by service provider Harmoni, on 0844 736 9530.
“We would like to take this opportunity to repeat the ‘choose well’ message to the public,” said Dr Jamie Wyllie, medical director from NHS GYW.
“By going to the most appropriate place for medical help this bank holiday, you’ll not only receive faster treatment but will also ensure A&E services are reserved for those who really need them.
“Any public holiday can mean a lot of extra pressure for health services, so we really need people to use our services wisely so that everyone can access the best treatment to meet their needs.
- 1 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 2 Four men arrested following altercation by Great Yarmouth pub
- 3 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 4 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 5 Man who raped teen jailed for six years
- 6 Man to be sentenced next month over Norfolk pub attack
- 7 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 8 Date set for road reopening after sewer collapse
- 9 Hospital opens £1.2m eye operation theatre to cut waiting times
- 10 TV show filmed in Norfolk starring Ainsley Harriott to air this month
“If you’re unsure about a health issue, then call the helpline or NHS Direct for further guidance. They can give you advice on the most appropriate service to meet your needs.”
Useful contact details include: NHS Greyfriars walk-in centre, 5 Greyfriars Way, Great Yarmouth, which is open every day from 8am to 8pm. Call 01493 335340
Pharmacies open on bank holiday Monday are Boots, Coliseum Precinct, Gorleston, 10am to 4pm; Asda, Acle New Road, Great Yarmouth, 9am to 6pm; Boots, Gapton Hall Retail Park, Great Yarmouth, 8am to midnight; Boots, Market Gate, Great Yarmouth, 10am to 4pm; Tesco, Pasteur Road, Great Yarmouth, 11am to 4pm.