City favourite Fleck coming to Wellesley
ONE time fans' favourite Robert Fleck is amongst the former Norwich City stars appearing at Great Yarmouth Football Club this month.The pint-sized striker is back in action for Dale Gordon's Norwich City Legends team on Wednesday, January 28.
ONE time fans' favourite Robert Fleck is amongst the former Norwich City stars appearing at Great Yarmouth Football Club this month.
The pint-sized striker is back in action for Dale Gordon's Norwich City Legends team on Wednesday, January 28.
Fleck will be lining up alongside other ex-Canaries including Dion Dublin, Iwan Roberts, Robert Fleck, Chris Sutton, Bryan Gunn and Jeremy Goss for the match against a Great Yarmouth Town XI.
Another legend, Darren Huckerby, will also be joining former teammates in what he says will be his last game in England.
You may also want to watch:
All the money raised from the match will be donated to Great Yarmouth Football Club, where Gordon is director of football.
A key player during some of the most successful periods of the club's history, Fleck ranks amongst the city's all time leading goalscorers.
- 1 Princess Anne pays flying visit to historic Broads' boatyard
- 2 New Sports Direct in town's former M&S set for summer opening
- 3 Driver in hospital after BMW car ends up in ditch
- 4 New dessert restaurant opens in Great Yarmouth
- 5 Norfolk ban for three men who stole cash from Yarmouth fruit machines
- 6 The challenges of May 17 re-opening - including keeping people sat down
- 7 "We're looking to move soon" - Neighbours' anger over derelict building fires
- 8 Woman shares horror after pet cat Dave is mutilated by elastic band
- 9 Great Yarmouth man banned from high street at night
- 10 "I love it here" - No surprise at village's Rightmove popularity
During two spells at Carrow Road from 1987 to 1992 and 1995 to 98, Fleck played 299 times scoring 84 times.
He is also no stranger to Wellesley Road from his days managing arch rivals Gorleston between 1999 and 2002.
“It will be good fun to see my old teammates again and enjoy some banter that is the thing former players often miss the most,” said Fleck. “I only play some five a side matches now, the brain is still there but the body might not be.
“I still get to see quite a lot of matches scouting for Norwich City and work as a teaching assistant, which I absolutely love.
“Hopefully there should be a good turnout for the match it is all in a good cause and will give a boost to grass roots football.”
The Legends team is managed by former City boss Dave Stringer with ex-Bloaters manager Bill Punton taking charge of the Yarmouth Town X1.
Some stars from the Canaries 1959 FA Cup semi-final team are expected to attend the match, along with members of the current squad, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of their heroic exploits.
Any businesses interested in providing associate sponsorship for the match should contact Dale Gordon on 07702253229.
w Tickets for the game, kick off 7.30pm, cost �10 for adults and �5 for children and are available from Legends Lounge Bar, Sandown Road by phoning 01493 843373, or Pub on the Prom, Marine Parade, David Mobbs Sports in King Street and Norwich City ticket offices at Carrow Road and Castle Mall shopping centre, Norwich.