Colourful carnival brought fete to life
THOUSANDS of people flocked to Hopton on Sunday for the village's third annual carnival and fete. The event was supported by almost 50 charities with the playing field filled with stalls and attractions for all the family, including fairground rides and a dog show.
THOUSANDS of people flocked to Hopton on Sunday for the village's third annual carnival and fete.
The event was supported by almost 50 charities with the playing field filled with stalls and attractions for all the family, including fairground rides and a dog show.
A scarecrow competition proved popular with the winner being a sack barrow scarecrow, which was followed in second place by a Spongebob Squarepants.
Mayor Tony Smith, who opened the event with his wife mayoress Sara, got into the charity spirit offering �10 to throw a bucket of water over Hopton Parish Council chairman Mike Butcher while he was in the stocks. Following intense negotiations a donation of �20 for Hopton Bowls Club was agreed, with Mr Smith soaking Mr Butcher with a bucket full of water.
You may also want to watch:
David Pye, publicity officer with organisers Yarmouth Lions Club, said they were already looking forward to planning next year's event.
Mr Pye said: “It really was a great event and the mayor did us proud and visited all the stall holders. It was the first time we held a walking carnival with the event and we hope this will grow next year.”
- 1 Man re-arrested over murder of missing 83-year-old Pat Holland
- 2 Police searching for Patricia Holland believe her to be dead
- 3 'Something really fresh for Great Yarmouth' - Empire ready to re-open
- 4 Appeal to find missing man from London last seen at Norfolk campsite
- 5 7 big projects in Great Yarmouth and when they are happening
- 6 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 7 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 8 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 9 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 10 Coastguard joins search for missing London man last seen in Norfolk