Council bans bouncy castles in wake of Ava-May Littleboy tragedy on Gorleston Beach
PUBLISHED: 13:50 04 July 2018 | UPDATED: 09:08 05 July 2018
Archant Norfolk 2018
A council in Hampshire has banned bouncy castles on its land following the death of a three-year-old girl on an inflatable trampoline at Gorleston Beach at the weekend.
Ava-May Littleboy died in hospital from a head injury after being thrown from the inflatable on Sunday.
Experts are examining the equipment on the beach.
The incident led to calls for the Government to consider a temporary ban on inflatables in public spaces.
MORE: Grandmother of Ava-May speaks following Gorleston Beach tragedy
In a statement issued on Wednesday, Havant Borough Council said no incidents or concerns had been raised in the area.
But in the wake of the incident in Norfolk, a council spokesman said: “It has been decided that until the reason for the explosion of the bouncy castle has been identified, such that the risk can be properly managed by the event organiser, Havant Borough Council will not permit the use of bouncy castles or inflatables at any events taking place on its land.
“The position will be reviewed once the outcome of the inquiry into the cause of the explosion of the bouncy castle is known.”
MORE: Ava-May’s family pay tribute to her “infectious laugh and smile”
Robert Halfon, Conservative MP for Harlow, Essex – where seven-year-old Summer Grant was killed when a bouncy castle blew free from its moorings in 2016 – said action was needed after “two horrific tragedies”.
Tributes have been left at the scene and donations have been made to an appeal to buy a child’s bench in Ava-May’s memory which will be put in her local park in Somersham, near Ipswich.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Great Yarmouth Mercury. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.