Councillor's death shock
Tributes have been paid to “hard working” Great Yarmouth borough councillor Dick Barker after his sudden death yesterday.Electrician Mr Barker, a married man in his 50s with grown-up children, had been Labour member for Claydon Ward since 2005 and served on many committees on the council.
Tributes have been paid to “hard working” Great Yarmouth borough councillor Dick Barker after his sudden death yesterday.
Electrician Mr Barker, a married man in his 50s with grown-up children, had been Labour member for Claydon Ward since 2005 and served on many committees on the council.
The council's Labour leader, Mick Castle, said: “He was such a hard-working guy and he will be a hard act to follow. He was my right-hand man as Labour whip and well-respected as our spokesman on the audit and risk committee.”
He said Mr Barker, of Station Road, Belton, was, like him, a long-standing Norwich City fan and season-ticket holder.
You may also want to watch:
“I am sorry he won't be around to see them get promotion back to the Championship,” he added.
Robin Hodds, member services manager and scrutiny officer, said Mr Barker had been a very able and popular councillor and would be greatly missed by his fellow councillors and staff at the Town Hall.
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Thrilling Fire on the Water show to light up Yarmouth
- 3 Spectacular show to light up Great Yarmouth's Venetian Waterways
- 4 One person left with serious injuries after Yarmouth crash
- 5 Police appeal after motorcyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 6 Burglars make off with bird equipment after Great Yarmouth break in
- 7 Councillors in coastal village vow to fight 665 homes bid
- 8 Meet the Yarmouth firm on tonight's Grand Designs
- 9 Hope steps seen in Danny Boyle's Yesterday will get much-needed repairs
- 10 Dog prices stay high after lockdown boom, buyers say