Search

Crews tackle house fire in Broads village

PUBLISHED: 10:48 03 July 2018

Firefighters were called to an incident in Tillett Close, Ormesby Photo: Liz Coates

Firefighters were called to an incident in Tillett Close, Ormesby Photo: Liz Coates

Archant

A house fire in Ormesby is believed to have been started by a washing machine.

Two fire crews from Gorleston and Great Yarmouth were called to Tillett Close in the Broadland village at around 8pm last night. (Monday).

Neighbours this morning said they understood from speaking to crew at the scene that the incident had been caused by a washing machine.

There was reportedly a large amount of smoke.

The two fire crews wearing breathing apparatus took around 20 minutes to deal with the incident.

According to Which? magazine faulty household appliances, such as washing machines, tumble dryers and fridge-freezers, are causing more than 60 fires every week.

The publication’s analysis, looking at fire data obtained through Freedom of Information requests, reveals that the number of fires has stayed at a similar level for five years, with malfunctioning kitchen appliances reportedly causing close to 16,000 potentially deadly fires across the UK since April 1 2012.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Great Yarmouth Mercury. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Great Yarmouth Mercury