Anger after toilets trashed by youngsters smoking cannabis
- Credit: Liz Coates
Toilets in Hemsby are likely to be closed for two days after they were damaged by vandals smoking cannabis.
Parish council chairman Keith Kyriacou said he was called out on Monday (June 14) at around 9.50pm to reports of youths gathering at the block near the bus stop in Kings Way.
On arrival he found around eight boys and one girl he estimated to be around 17 to 19 years old "all doing whacky baccy."
Having sent them on their way he then discovered they had broken into the female toilets, smashing the door, destroying all the toilet rolls, breaking dispensers, and using the baby change table to roll their cannabis cigarettes.
He said: "We have just spent over £27,000 doing three toilets and for them to go in one of them like that makes me really annoyed.
You may also want to watch:
"It's not horrendous, but they will have to be closed for two days and new locks will have to be fitted. Whether we can save the dispensers I don't know.
"It has to be locals, they were not holiday makers - I wouldn't want them to get the blame - and at that age you couldn't say they were kids. They were just outside and it wasn't until they left I realised what they had done."
- 1 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 2 Man 'helping police with inquiries' in search for missing woman
- 3 Police seal in place at home of missing vulnerable 83-year-old
- 4 Lifeguard, 18, saves teenager from drowning in first days on job
- 5 Euro 2020 crowds blamed for Gorleston Covid spike
- 6 Dismay at appeal ruling on homes bid for site of former registry office
- 7 Testing ramped up after 'extreme rise' in Covid cases in coastal areas
- 8 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 9 Almost two dozen arrests on first Saturday after nightclubs open
- 10 Perfect plaices? Three fish and chip firms go up for sale
The incident has been reported to the police.