‘He didn’t hesitate in saying yes’ - Danny Boyle becomes Gorleston theatre patron
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2018
Hollywood director Danny Boyle has become a patron of the seaside theatre used as a base and backdrop in his Beatle’s inspired film.
Pavilion Theatre director Stuart Malkovich said he was thrilled with the appointment, just as the theatre launches an eight year restoration plan.
He said: “Danny came into the theatre to have a look around and discuss some of the additions they’d like to make to the outside of the building and we could see that the place totally captured his imagination.
“He was particularly impressed with how unique the Pavilion is as a theatre and how different it is once you get inside.
“We took the opportunity to tell him about our ambitious restoration plans and took a punt to ask if he’d consider becoming a patron.
You may also want to watch:
“He didn’t hesitate in saying yes, we were absolutely thrilled!”
The theatre is raising funds to restore and refurbish the building to mark its 125th anniversary in 2026.
- 1 Third teenager arrested over Yarmouth park stabbing
- 2 Tesco applies to sell alcohol from pub site
- 3 Seaside cafe opens new toy library for dogs
- 4 Thrilling Fire on the Water show to light up Yarmouth
- 5 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 6 Crowds pour on to streets to enjoy light and sound display
- 7 Gorleston high street closed this week for emergency gas works
- 8 They started life in lockdown - but how are these businesses doing now?
- 9 Award-winning Halloween event returns to Great Yarmouth this half term
- 10 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
Alex Youngs, trustee of the Pavilion’s charity said: “We were so excited when Danny agreed to join our amazing list of patrons. It marks an incredibly important moment in the theatre’s history.
“To celebrate the building’s 125th anniversary we’re launching a brand new ‘125 Fund’ that we’re hoping will help us to raise enough money to deliver an extensive programme of refurbishment.
“We want to protect and preserve the building for future generations to continue to enjoy as a theatre because it’s such an important place to the community.
“Our plans include major structural work such as replacing the roof to keep it weather-tight and completely restoring the outside of the building, as well as plenty of improvements for our customers to enjoy such as new seating, modernised facilities and even opening up parts of the building previously inaccessible to the public.
“Most importantly though we’re not going to spoil the character of the building, it’s what people love and it’s certainly something Danny Boyle fell in love with! His support simply strengthens our determination to see the plans through. We’re very excited!”
The movie mogul has already voiced his affection for Gorleston declaring it “one of the great secrets of England.”
His work as patron involves supporting the theatre and attending occasional gala performances.