Darts players' appeal bullseye
DARTS players hit the bullseye to raise �372 for the Palliative Care East Appeal in memory of a Halvergate mum-of-three, who died from cancer.The knockout darts competition was held in memory of Barbara Hewitt, of Mill Road, who died in December only months after being told she had terminal cancer.
DARTS players hit the bullseye to raise �372 for the Palliative Care East Appeal in memory of a Halvergate mum-of-three, who died from cancer.
The knockout darts competition was held in memory of Barbara Hewitt, of Mill Road, who died in December only months after being told she had terminal cancer.
All the money raised came from �3 entry fees for the competition at Halvergate village hall on February 21, which attracted 44 competitors.
Barbara's daughter June Dunstan organised the event, which was won by Mick Patterson, who received the prize of a carvery lunch for four at the Holiday Inn at Norwich Airport.
In addition to the darts money, a further �508 was raised by mourners at Barbara's funeral on December 22 who donated money, rather than flowers, bringing the total including the darts cash, to �880.
June said her mother, who was 59 when she died, played darts in The Wherry Darts League for Halvergate Social Club and was a keen Ipswich Town fan, visiting the club in November to meet some of the players.
- 1 Hotel with 'excellent reputation' up for sale as owner retires
- 2 WATCH: Shock for drivers as car goes the wrong way on A47
- 3 'A slow down' - Estate agent says housing supply is hitting market
- 4 Everything you need to know ahead of Great Yarmouth Wheels Festival
- 5 Body part investigation continues in Great Yarmouth
- 6 Wimbledon wild card Olivia through to second round in ladies doubles
- 7 Rescue hope for iconic hotel declared 'at risk' by national body
- 8 What the census tells us about Great Yarmouth
- 9 More than half say lights 'too tacky' for Gorleston
- 10 Renewed bid to bulldoze 'ugly mess' country pub for homes
A Ladies Night will be held at Halvergate Village Hall with the aim being to bring the total to �1,000.
Further fundraisers for the Palliative Care East Appeal will include a Ladies Night on March 28 and an Embrace Fun Run at Yarmouth racecourse on August 9. For general enquiries about the fun run, phone Spencer McCormack on 01493 452095 or Jenny Westgate on 01493 453348. To book a stand for the run, phone Jill Jacobs on 07789 361794 or 01493 781679.