Men in some of the poorest areas of Yarmouth and Lowestoft are likely to die 10 years earlier than the east of England average, new figures reveal.Life expectancy is just 69 in deprived areas of the two towns, according to a study by the Yarmouth and Waveney Primary Care Trust.
Men in some of the poorest areas of Yarmouth and Lowestoft are likely to die 10 years earlier than the east of England average, new figures reveal.
Life expectancy is just 69 in deprived areas of the two towns, according to a study by the Yarmouth and Waveney Primary Care Trust.
The towns also fall dismally short of the regional average on a host of other health indices ranging from cancer and heart disease rates to the percentage of smokers and obese adults.
Deprivation in Yarmouth's poorest Nelson ward - determined by the state
of health and levels of education and unemployment - is six times worse than
more affluent parts of the area.
- 1 Man died on 50th birthday at Norfolk coastal campsite
- 2 Sammy, 6, finds 'once-in-a-lifetime' rare fossil on beach
- 3 Bid to extend life of quarry in Broads' village to 85 years
- 4 Seaside bar taken over for three weeks by Hollywood crew shooting film
- 5 Roadworks will see a Gorleston road closed for three months
- 6 Six ways Yarmouth wants to solve its housing crisis and 'compete with Norwich'
- 7 Mayor left waiting as cruise ship can not dock at Yarmouth due to winds
- 8 Gorleston murder accused not yet fit to enter plea
- 9 Port boss disappointed over cruise ship non-docking
- 10 Cyclists embark on challenge from Gorleston to London
The figures emerge in a comprehensive “health atlas” compiled by the PCT to shape a far-reaching health and well-being improvement strategy.
It plans to kick-start the work with a multi-million-pound investment when it finalises its budget for the coming financial year.
Director of public health, Dr Alistair Lipp, who has spearheaded the collection of data, said prevention and education would be an important plank of the strategy, with a number of community projects - some already being run as pilots - being rolled out across both towns.