Disgraced Norfolk solicitor jailed
A disgraced Norfolk solicitor convicted of a string of sex offences has been jailed for 11 years.Michael Hynes appeared for sentencing before Norwich Crown Court today after earlier being found guilty of rape, sexual activity with a child and assault.
A disgraced Norfolk solicitor convicted of a string of sex offences has been jailed for 11 years.
Michael Hynes appeared for sentencing before Norwich Crown Court today after earlier being found guilty of rape, sexual activity with a child and assault.
The 46-year-old of Upper Street, Salhouse, offered no mitigation. His victim, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was not in court to witness the sentencing.
Judge Paul Downes said: “You have no previous convictiction and something of a sparkling educational career.
You may also want to watch:
“But this was a catalogue of offences over a long period of time towards somebody whom you owed a trust.”
The court heard how the crimes only came to light when the girl was admitted to the Priory suffering from depression.
- 1 Fire on the water bursts into life on Yarmouth seafront
- 2 Man caught drying cannabis he had stolen from father-in-law
- 3 Picture special: Fire on the Water thrills crowds
- 4 Abandoned Grade II listed building to be restored
- 5 Great Yarmouth church to receive £300k grant
- 6 Norfolk scams: DVLA texts and family WhatsApp messages
- 7 Petrol attack shopkeeper opens spice shop and restaurant in former pub
- 8 Land wanted by village sold to mystery buyer for £50,000 more
- 9 Yarmouth man convicted of historic rape after DNA match
- 10 Sisters-in-law glowing after opening high street tanning salon
Hynes worked in commercial property law for internationally renowned London-based firm Simmons and Simmons before moving to Norfolk with Mills and Reeve and most recently with Howes Percival.