Disgraced Norfolk solicitor jailed
A disgraced Norfolk solicitor convicted of a string of sex offences has been jailed for 11 years.Michael Hynes appeared for sentencing before Norwich Crown Court today after earlier being found guilty of rape, sexual activity with a child and assault.
A disgraced Norfolk solicitor convicted of a string of sex offences has been jailed for 11 years.
Michael Hynes appeared for sentencing before Norwich Crown Court today after earlier being found guilty of rape, sexual activity with a child and assault.
The 46-year-old of Upper Street, Salhouse, offered no mitigation. His victim, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was not in court to witness the sentencing.
Judge Paul Downes said: “You have no previous convictiction and something of a sparkling educational career.
You may also want to watch:
“But this was a catalogue of offences over a long period of time towards somebody whom you owed a trust.”
The court heard how the crimes only came to light when the girl was admitted to the Priory suffering from depression.
- 1 Body believed to be missing man found near Norfolk coast
- 2 Three taken to hospital after eight crews battle holiday park blaze
- 3 Firefighters dash to tackle blaze at coastal holiday resort
- 4 Covid on the coast: Record high for July but case numbers dipping
- 5 'Nobody wants the responsibility' - Town's public art collection for sale
- 6 Man denies raping woman in flat above fast food outlet
- 7 'Unbelievable grief' - Friend plans memorial garden for Gorleston woman
- 8 Britain's Got Talent golden buzzer winner to appear in Gorleston cabaret show
- 9 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 10 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
Hynes worked in commercial property law for internationally renowned London-based firm Simmons and Simmons before moving to Norfolk with Mills and Reeve and most recently with Howes Percival.