Don't line purse dippers pockets
POLICE are urging people to be vigilant following thefts of unattended purses and handbags over the past few days.As the weather improves and more people are out and about, thieves will take the opportunity to steal from handbags left unattended or insecure.
POLICE are urging people to be vigilant following thefts of unattended purses and handbags over the past few days.
As the weather improves and more people are out and about, thieves will take the opportunity to steal from handbags left unattended or insecure.
People are being encouraged to follow simple security measures to avoid being targeted by “purse dippers”.
Officers are trying to identify those responsible and working with cafes, pubs, clubs and CCTV operators to identify and target offenders.
You may also want to watch:
Thieves operate by stealing purses, bags or wallets on display, left unattended or within easy reach in open and insecure handbags.
They most often steal a purse or bag left on a counter or table or slip their hand into an open handbag or shopping trolley.
- 1 Thrilling Fire on the Water show to light up Yarmouth
- 2 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 3 Spectacular show to light up Great Yarmouth's Venetian Waterways
- 4 One person left with serious injuries after Yarmouth crash
- 5 Burglars make off with bird equipment after Great Yarmouth break in
- 6 Meet the Yarmouth firm on tonight's Grand Designs
- 7 Police appeal after motorcyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 8 Councillors in coastal village vow to fight 665 homes bid
- 9 Dog prices stay high after lockdown boom, buyers say
- 10 Hope steps seen in Danny Boyle's Yesterday will get much-needed repairs
Sometimes, one or more thieves may distract their victim by bumping into them or brushing past them.
To help prevent thieves from operating, police offer the following advice:
Keep your bag closed and close to you at all times, if possible with the opening towards your body.
Don't leave handbags, bags or purses unattended.
Close your purse and put it away before leaving the till.
Try not to overload yourself with bags and coats.
Avoid carrying your wallet or purse in a back trouser pocket.
Keep cash secure and out of sight.
Don't let people see where money is put in a handbag especially from an ATM.
When you put money in your handbag, don't let people see where you put it - especially when you are using an ATM.