Donation in memory of compassionate lady

PUBLISHED: 15:02 19 February 2009 | UPDATED: 13:05 03 July 2010

THOUSANDS of pounds have been raised for charity in memory of a woman described as a loving and elegant person who bravely fought cancer in a dignified silence.

THOUSANDS of pounds have been raised for charity in memory of a woman described as a loving and elegant person who bravely fought cancer in a dignified silence.

Anita Carter, of Gorleston, battled with ovarian cancer for more than three years until the disease took hold and she died in January.

Her family, including husband of 48 years Jim Carter, chairman of the Great Yarmouth and Gorleston RNLI lifeboat, decided to raise money in aid of a cancer charity in thanks of the “professional and dedicated” care she received.

Jim presented a cheque of £3,000 along with children Nichola, Andrea, Caroline and Peter, to Ruth Walsh, oncologist nurse at the Sandra Chapman Centre at the James Paget University Hospital.

Ruth was just one of the nurses who treated Anita after she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in October 2005.

The money was raised in lieu of flowers at Anita's funeral held at Gorleston Crematorium, which was attended by more than 250 people.

Jim said: “I would like to thank everyone who contributed to this magnificent amount which will be used solely for essential equipment for treatment of cancer at the Sandra Chapman Centre.

“The family would also like to thank the professional and dedicated nursing staff who cared for Anita since she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Anita was a caring loving wife, mother and grandmother, with such elegance, style and grace. A refined kind, compassionate lady who rarely spoke ill of anyone and whose illness was borne with much suffering and pain, managed in such dignified silence, hardly ever complaining.”

Anita was born in Pontypridd, in South Wales in 1936, and went on to work as a chemist and a nurse. She met Jim, originally from Hampshire, at Woolworths in Pontypridd in 1960 where he worked as a trainee manager.

The couple became engaged and were married on March 3, 1962 and after several moves finally settled in Yarmouth in 1982 where Anita worked as a carer at the Poplars care home while Jim became manager at Woolworths.

An avid tennis and murder mystery fan, Anita gave Jim strong support in his role as a freemason and would still accompany her husband at events while receiving chemotherapy.

Despite treatment, doctors delivered the heartbreaking news in November last year that Anita only had months to live. She died on January 23 at home.

She leaves behind four children and five grandchildren.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Great Yarmouth Mercury. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Great Yarmouth Mercury