Search

Duck Cup for cricket club

PUBLISHED: 19:00 03 September 2009 | UPDATED: 14:54 03 July 2010

The Duck Cup returns to Halvergate Cricket Club

The Duck Cup returns to Halvergate Cricket Club

A PART of Halvergate's sporting history returned to the village when Mrs Ena Mallett presented the Duck Cup to Halvergate Cricket Club secretary Edwin Youngs, at the village playing field on Saturday.

A PART of Halvergate's sporting history returned to the village when Mrs Ena Mallett presented the Duck Cup to Halvergate Cricket Club secretary Edwin Youngs, at the village playing field on Saturday.

The Duck Cup was originally presented in 1938 with A Newson being the first recipient and was awarded annually until the final name of D Howard was inscribed in 1957. The cup was then left in the safe hands of secretary Clem Mallett, a Halvergate born cricketer and supporter of the club all his life.

Following Clem's death, his widow found the cup at their home in Ranworth and decided it should be returned to Halvergate CC and kept as part of its history. Some of Clem's former team-mates were present to see Mrs Mallett give the cup back to the club. The 14 names inscribed on the cup caused a lot of interest among spectators and players at the ground on Saturday, with many relatives still having connections.

Pictured are, from left: D Hannant, D Bloomfield, Mrs Ena Mallett, Edwin Youngs, R Howard and T Peek.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Great Yarmouth Mercury