Duke of Kent's Yarmouth visit
Crew members from Yarmouth and Gorleston lifeboat station will today welcome the Duke of Kent, president of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution.The 5pm visit will precede the Duke's visit to the Yarmouth Hippodrome to see a concert by the Russian State Philharmonic Orchestra starring Julian Lloyd-Webber.
Crew members from Yarmouth and Gorleston lifeboat station will today welcome the Duke of Kent, president of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution.
The 5pm visit will precede the Duke's visit to the Yarmouth Hippodrome to see a concert by the Russian State Philharmonic Orchestra starring Julian Lloyd-Webber.
Ahead of his visit, the Duke said: “This will be the first time I have ever visited this lifeboat station. It's a great opportunity for me to hear about some of the crew's more dramatic rescues that they have carried out and I look forward to meeting them all.”
Yarmouth and Gorleston RNLI lifeboat operations manager Neal Duffield said: “I am absolutely thrilled to bits that our president is visiting us. It is a great honour for the station and the crew are very excited. We are all getting ready to welcome him as we welcomed his sister, Princess Alexandra, a few years ago.”
You may also want to watch:
The Duke will be met by the Mayor of Yarmouth, Terry Easter, at the boathouse and souvenir shop. He will be provided with a history of the oldest lifeboat, John and Mary Makeland, which hangs in the boathouse, and will enjoy an inspection of the all-weather lifeboat, the Samarbeta.
- 1 Police arrest man in Gorleston murder probe
- 2 Opening date confirmed for new Sports Direct in town's former M&S
- 3 Murder victim's brother: 'Please help find my beloved sister's killer'
- 4 Man stabbed victim in chest with screwdriver at cemetery
- 5 'Trauma cafe' taking shape in former high street electrical shop
- 6 Amazing photos show storms over Norfolk – and there are more to come
- 7 Sinkhole appears on busy coastal bus route in Gorleston
- 8 Holiday homes bid for site of former landmark hotel
- 9 Teen burglar netted £80k of goods in four-year spree
- 10 Cat food brands recalled over link to fatal disease