Dumped oil causes road closure
DUMPING of a substance, thought to be cooking oil, on a road in Caister, led to its closure on Wednesday, February 25.Both sides of Meadowcroft were covered inches deep in places.
DUMPING of a substance, thought to be cooking oil, on a road in Caister, led to its closure on Wednesday, February 25.
Both sides of Meadowcroft were covered inches deep in places. A vehicle appears to have reversed into the road during the evening and emptied the oil onto the highway.
Great Yarmouth borough council's environmental health team is appealing for witnesses to the incident which entailed Norfolk County Highways department closing the road and laying absorbent granules to contain the spill. It was later cleared by GYB Services.
Community protection manager Glenn Buck said: “This really was a thoughtless and dangerous act. The oil was a hazard to anyone using the road and especially to motorists. As it appears to be cooking oil, we presume it came from commercial premises. That makes it even more annoying as the council in partnership with J and H Bunn offers a free commercial waste catering oil collection service which is then recycled into bio-fuel.
“It is collected free of charge and put to good use, but instead the council tax payer is left to foot the bill for the cleaning up.”
- 1 Seaside bar taken over for three weeks by Hollywood crew shooting film
- 2 Roadworks will see a Gorleston road closed for three months
- 3 Mayor left waiting as cruise ship can not dock at Yarmouth due to winds
- 4 7 delicious places to eat in Great Yarmouth's Regent Road
- 5 Investigations continue after body part of man found on Yarmouth beach
- 6 Cyclists embark on challenge from Gorleston to London
- 7 The seven cheapest streets in Great Yarmouth
- 8 Great Yarmouth roadworks expected to be finished by the end of the month
- 9 £65,000 of improvements will see Gorleston street closed for six weeks
- 10 'Revolutionary' cancer test trial to begin in Great Yarmouth
To contact the environmental health team, call 01493 846478.