Former Great Yarmouth student Josh Peek triumphs at world skills event
- Credit: Worldskills UK
An apprentice welder is celebrating international awards success.
Josh Peek, from Hainford, has competed in the Worldskills finals in Abu Dhabi as part of Team UK.
The four-day contest saw apprentices compete in a number of disciplines for gold, silver and bronze medals in an Olympic style set up.
Mr Peek won a medallion of excellence for welding as Team UK celebrated a haul of 20 medals made up of one gold, three silver, three bronze and 13 medallions of excellence.
Mr Peek learnt his craft at Great Yarmouth College now East Coast College, and now works for L&G Engineering.
You may also want to watch:
Team UK was supported by Worldskills UK, which is funded by the Department for Education, and was made up of 34 current or former apprentices.
East Coast College tutor Douglas Lawrence said: “This is a massive achievement for a young man of his age. I’m sure he’ll go on to achieve great things and we wish him every success with his career.”
- 1 'Glagoon' returns to Norfolk beach and locals are loving it
- 2 All you need to know about Yarmouth's first fair in the park
- 3 Airport-style security coming to seafront club amid spiking fears
- 4 Man who died after a medical episode in Hopton identified
- 5 Potters Resort expands into Essex after acquiring new site
- 6 Spiking in Great Yarmouth club last weekend
- 7 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 8 Schoolchildren driving Covid rates across Yarmouth
- 9 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 10 More than 31,000 tickets sold for Fire on the Water
Team UK finished 10th in the medals table ahead of Germany and was the smallest team to make the global top 10. In total 1,200 young people from around the world took part.