School sports stars celebrate awards success
- Credit: Archant
Sporting youngsters have been recognised for their achievements in netball, football, basketball, cheerleading, athletics and rounders at their Gorleston school.
Ormiston Venture Academy has celebrated their students’ achievement in its Sports Awards 2018 event.
The PE faculty welcomed more than 85 students and 10 members of staff to celebrate their individual and team successes over the past year.
Students were invited to attend the evening if they have been a committed member of the netball, football, basketball, cheerleading, athletics and rounders teams.
The students who were selected were chosen by their team coaches and PE teachers based on their high attendance at training and fixtures, as well as a consistent positive attitude in all PE lessons.
You may also want to watch:
The evening started by welcoming students with a slideshow photo presentation of some of the events over the last year, which included netball matches, football matches, academy mascot Vinny the Venture Raptor, and a Wellesley Ground athletics competition.
Students and staff then sat down for a meal ahead of the much anticipated awards ceremony.
- 1 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 2 Mystery mural found in back street sparks hunt for artist
- 3 Fire breaks out at care home in the Broads
- 4 Son's concern as Covid hospital patient, 85, moved seven times in two weeks
- 5 Bank says branch still open after 'ominous' sign appears
- 6 Projects to restore axed rail routes get £794m boost
- 7 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 8 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 9 Pressure grows for fixed date for schools to re-open
- 10 Ice warning after freezing temperatures overnight
There were several awards up for grabs during the evening, including Most Improved and Star Player. Highlights included the Leadership in Sport award going to Ebony Dales for an invaluable contribution to the after-school netball club, the Venture Spirit award going to Daisy Jennings for an amazing attitude and work ethic in all sports and lessons, and the Future Olympian award going to roller skater Harley Wicks for competing in the Cup of Europe.
The Team of the Year award went to the Year 9 netball team for reaching the county finals and the county league finals. They won the league, being undefeated in the borough, and came fourth in the county overall.
The academy’s biggest award was handed to Kim Hircock for outstanding contribution to Venture PE.
Joanna Ermini, head of the sports faculty at Ormiston Venture Academy, said: “This was one of my proudest moments as head of faculty at Venture.
This was our second ever awards evening and we loved celebrating with all of our students.
“We hope to continue this and develop deeper links with clubs in the community to increase participation levels inside and outside of our academy.”