Gorleston school is celebrating computer funding boost
- Credit: Archant
Ormiston Venture Academy in Gorleston has been awarded a £40,000 grant from the Wolfson Foundation to develop state-of-the-art computer science laboratories.
The academy, which specialises in mathematics and computer science, will use the grant to become a centre of excellence for computer science and to deliver an enhanced curriculum in the subject.
The funding will be used to redevelop existing computer rooms into cutting edge computing laboratories, fully integrated with the latest technology, including a coding lab with facilities for game design and robotics.
The academy will also develop a new virtual reality Lab.
The funding will allow the academy to offer even more exciting opportunities for students, such as access to new virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) programming tools.
You may also want to watch:
Both VR and AR are key growth areas in computing and the skills that students develop during their time at the academy will help to prepare them for the jobs of the future.
The virtual reality lab will also allow students to go on virtual field trips and go inside a computer to see how the circuitry and microprocessor work.
- 1 New escape room to open in Great Yarmouth
- 2 Four fish and chip shops listed among the best in the country
- 3 Woman's appeal against condition on pub conversion rejected
- 4 Hotel and restaurant for sale for £150,000 less two years on
- 5 Fake £50 notes used to buy items on Facebook
- 6 Extra police as pub gardens opening could coincide with Canaries promotion
- 7 Watch our virtual tour of Pleasure Beach's new Snails and Fairytales ride
- 8 Council to splash out £1.9m on Great Yarmouth town centre
- 9 Delivery driver fined for 'flagrant' seafront stunt caught on CCTV
- 10 New surface planned for 'muddy' track popular with walkers
Simon Gilbert-Barnham, Principal of Ormiston Venture Academy, said: “We are extremely grateful to the Wolfson Foundation for this important funding, which will enable us to give our students access to the very best facilities in which to learn, explore and develop their digital skills.
“At Ormiston Venture, we are hugely ambitious for our students. We are committed to enhancing students’ opportunities and raising their aspirations in an exciting and innovative way. We want them to leave the academy equipped to thrive in a digital world and to fulfil their potential with no limitations.”
The Wolfson Foundation is an independent charity which awards grants to support and promote excellence in the fields of science, health, education, the arts, and humanities.
Paul Ramsbottom, Chief Executive of the Wolfson Foundation, said: “We live in an increasingly digital world and the Wolfson Foundation is delighted to support Ormiston Venture Academy in its aim to provide excellent facilities and teaching in computer science.
“Technology is ever evolving and we were impressed by the Academy’s desire to inspire young scientists by providing them with state-of-the-art facilities. We hope that the new facilities will be both inspirational – and fun.”