Gorleston students enjoy a trip to Cambrige University as part of media scholars programme
- Credit: Archant
Students at Ormiston Venture Academy had a two night residential stay at the Jesus College of Cambridge University, as part of the Sutton Scholars programme.
Ten of academy’s brightest young ones undertook the final piece of their academic project, which was based around the representation of different groups in the media.
This was the culmination of the Sutton Scholars programme, which the students have been participating in over the last two years and aims to provide academic enrichment.
Their final project piece will be exhibited in the academy during the summer term, showcasing the students’ hard work.
The students were also given the opportunity to experience life at a leading university, with a taste of what it is like to live in student halls accommodation, studying in different lecture theatres and eating their meals in the prestigious university dining halls.
They were also given a tour of the city centre and visited the Cambridge Arts Theatre to see a production of La Strada, as part of the planned activities.
The programme has a focus on developing independent research, group work, presentation and writing skills to support academic attainment and enrichment, something which is championed by the Academy’s sponsor, Ormiston Academies Trust.
- 1 New York, Paris, Peckham, Great Yarmouth - Only Fools stars coming to town
- 2 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 3 Access road for driveways denied to Gorleston residents
- 4 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 5 New seafront festival promises feast of family fun
- 6 Pupils 'not afraid to share ideas' - School praised by Ofsted
- 7 Four men arrested following altercation by Great Yarmouth pub
- 8 Church glamping pod plan on ice as £626,000 funding bid awaits approval
- 9 Green light for quarry's expansion and longer life
- 10 Free open top bus tours to show off Great Yarmouth's seafront
Student Cody Tatley said: “We had a phenomenal time meeting new people and participating in fun activities. “Staying there was brilliant, it was an amazing experience that we will remember for a lifetime.”