Great Yarmouth High pupils up for royal award
A GROUP of young people from Great Yarmouth who have turned their lives around with the help of The Prince’s Trust have been nominated for a prestigious royal award.
The youngsters from Great Yarmouth High School – who helped nursing home residents grow and eat their own produce - are up for The Eastern Region Police Forces Community Impact Award next week.
The eight young people visited the residents of Oakwood nursing home earlier this year as part of a Bupa ‘Community Crops’ scheme, where they planted flowers and vegetables in raised flowerbeds.
Edwina Wingham, member of staff at the nursing home, commented: “This is a great example of how young people’s positive work together with The Prince’s Trust can help make a difference to other people in the community.”
The youngsters on the Great Yarmouth High School xl club are from a deprived areas, with many having struggled at school, and some have behavioural issues.
Tayla Day, one of the young people on the scheme, said: “I really liked working with the older residents of the nursing home. I got to know one lady particularly well. I feel much more confident in myself now and will get involved in more things like this in the future.”
The Prince’s Trust Celebrate Success Awards honour the achievements of disadvantaged young people supported by The Trust who have succeeded against the odds, improved their chances in life and had a positive impact on their local community.
- 1 Town centre charity shop building for sale
- 2 Bid for superbike warehouse bringing up to 30 new jobs
- 3 Drug dealers and shoplifters to be targeted by police
- 4 'Adored' teaching assistant retiring after more than three decades
- 5 Market place parking 'amnesty' to tackle school run chaos
- 6 Sentencing adjourned for man who travelled 272 miles to meet girl
- 7 Christmas magic comes to Gorleston
- 8 Long-awaited plans for A47 roundabout revamps revealed
- 9 Suspect identified in seafront hate attack
- 10 Plan to charge for seafront floral tributes is agreed
The award ceremony will take place in Cambridge on Monday.