Great Yarmouth High pupils up for royal award
A GROUP of young people from Great Yarmouth who have turned their lives around with the help of The Prince’s Trust have been nominated for a prestigious royal award.
The youngsters from Great Yarmouth High School – who helped nursing home residents grow and eat their own produce - are up for The Eastern Region Police Forces Community Impact Award next week.
The eight young people visited the residents of Oakwood nursing home earlier this year as part of a Bupa ‘Community Crops’ scheme, where they planted flowers and vegetables in raised flowerbeds.
Edwina Wingham, member of staff at the nursing home, commented: “This is a great example of how young people’s positive work together with The Prince’s Trust can help make a difference to other people in the community.”
The youngsters on the Great Yarmouth High School xl club are from a deprived areas, with many having struggled at school, and some have behavioural issues.
You may also want to watch:
Tayla Day, one of the young people on the scheme, said: “I really liked working with the older residents of the nursing home. I got to know one lady particularly well. I feel much more confident in myself now and will get involved in more things like this in the future.”
The Prince’s Trust Celebrate Success Awards honour the achievements of disadvantaged young people supported by The Trust who have succeeded against the odds, improved their chances in life and had a positive impact on their local community.
- 1 Toddler found in car not wearing seatbelt and driver had no licence
- 2 'Absolutely crazy' - Beer gardens bustle on first weekend open
- 3 E-scooter riders clock up 10,000 miles in over two weeks
- 4 Police cracking down on anti-social motorbike riders
- 5 Man died after knife fight with housemate
- 6 Woman's appeal against condition on pub conversion rejected
- 7 Campaigner 'more convinced than ever' about new light rail link
- 8 'What's not to like?' - Waiting list for beach huts as owners return
- 9 Police on scene in village 'just in case' as person taken to hospital
- 10 Local pub splashes back into action
The award ceremony will take place in Cambridge on Monday.