Great Yarmouth High pupils up for royal award
A GROUP of young people from Great Yarmouth who have turned their lives around with the help of The Prince’s Trust have been nominated for a prestigious royal award.
The youngsters from Great Yarmouth High School – who helped nursing home residents grow and eat their own produce - are up for The Eastern Region Police Forces Community Impact Award next week.
The eight young people visited the residents of Oakwood nursing home earlier this year as part of a Bupa ‘Community Crops’ scheme, where they planted flowers and vegetables in raised flowerbeds.
Edwina Wingham, member of staff at the nursing home, commented: “This is a great example of how young people’s positive work together with The Prince’s Trust can help make a difference to other people in the community.”
The youngsters on the Great Yarmouth High School xl club are from a deprived areas, with many having struggled at school, and some have behavioural issues.
You may also want to watch:
Tayla Day, one of the young people on the scheme, said: “I really liked working with the older residents of the nursing home. I got to know one lady particularly well. I feel much more confident in myself now and will get involved in more things like this in the future.”
The Prince’s Trust Celebrate Success Awards honour the achievements of disadvantaged young people supported by The Trust who have succeeded against the odds, improved their chances in life and had a positive impact on their local community.
- 1 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 2 'One of a kind' home with golf simulator and gym is for sale for £795,000
- 3 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 4 Drug-dealers caught in undercover police sting
- 5 'Too many holiday homes' - Residents object to conversion bid
- 6 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 7 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 8 Covid case rates continue to fall across Norfolk and Waveney
- 9 £250,000 of cannabis found in two cars on A11
- 10 Photo gallery: Snow turns region into winter wonderland
The award ceremony will take place in Cambridge on Monday.