Great Yarmouth High pupils up for royal award
A GROUP of young people from Great Yarmouth who have turned their lives around with the help of The Prince’s Trust have been nominated for a prestigious royal award.
The youngsters from Great Yarmouth High School – who helped nursing home residents grow and eat their own produce - are up for The Eastern Region Police Forces Community Impact Award next week.
The eight young people visited the residents of Oakwood nursing home earlier this year as part of a Bupa ‘Community Crops’ scheme, where they planted flowers and vegetables in raised flowerbeds.
Edwina Wingham, member of staff at the nursing home, commented: “This is a great example of how young people’s positive work together with The Prince’s Trust can help make a difference to other people in the community.”
The youngsters on the Great Yarmouth High School xl club are from a deprived areas, with many having struggled at school, and some have behavioural issues.
You may also want to watch:
Tayla Day, one of the young people on the scheme, said: “I really liked working with the older residents of the nursing home. I got to know one lady particularly well. I feel much more confident in myself now and will get involved in more things like this in the future.”
The Prince’s Trust Celebrate Success Awards honour the achievements of disadvantaged young people supported by The Trust who have succeeded against the odds, improved their chances in life and had a positive impact on their local community.
- 1 Man 'helping police with inquiries' in search for missing woman
- 2 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 3 Police seal in place at home of missing vulnerable 83-year-old
- 4 Lifeguard, 18, saves teenager from drowning in first days on job
- 5 Euro 2020 crowds blamed for Gorleston Covid spike
- 6 Rooms with a view? See two new hotel suites costing £120,000
- 7 Man arrested for murder of still missing 83-year-old
- 8 Almost two dozen arrests on first Saturday after nightclubs open
- 9 Dismay at appeal ruling on homes bid for site of former registry office
- 10 Perfect plaices? Three fish and chip firms go up for sale
The award ceremony will take place in Cambridge on Monday.