Great Yarmouth schools closed amid strike action
- Credit: Archant
Schools across Great Yarmouth were shut and classes disrupted today after thousands of teachers and school support staff took part in strike action.
Council services were also hit as members of trade unions UNISON, GMB and Unite took part in industrial action over what they claimed was an “insulting” pay offer.
Members of the National Union of Teachers also joined the action as part of their ongoing campaign over pay, pensions and workload, as well as members of the National Fire Brigades Union.
Primary, secondary and junior schools across the borough were disrupted, with some closed completely while others were shut to certain year groups.
Acle St Edmunds, Brundall School, Cliff Park Ormiston Academy, Stradbroke Community Primary, Peterhouse Primary, St Mary’s Nursery, St Nicholas Priory and Wroughton Junior were partially closed, while Cobholm Primary and Northgate Infants were shut to all children.
Lynn Grove High School in Gorleston was open but Year 10 children left at lunchtime.
A picket line formed outside Yarmouth town hall this morning, with around 20 Unison members taking part, while marches and rallies were held in Lowestoft, Norwich and King’s Lynn.
- 1 House of Fun! When Madness video was shot at Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach
- 2 'I was in a dark place' - Woman 'saved' by messages on town's pier
- 3 CCTV appeal after series of Great Yarmouth burglaries
- 4 Hot tub wrecked after car smashes through garden wall from Wilkos car park
- 5 Lovely jubbly! Only Fools and Horses tribute show heads to town
- 6 People are driving for hours to visit this loaded fries and doughnut kiosk
- 7 Great Yarmouth's branch of Costa closed for refurbishment
- 8 Five Great Yarmouth properties with stunning sea views
- 9 Inquest into death of woman during cosmetic surgery in Turkey delayed
- 10 Out of stock: Great Yarmouth food bank's uncertain future