New principal appointed at Great Yarmouth primary school
- Credit: Archant
A Great Yarmouth primary school has announced the appointment of a new principal.
Mark Thompson will succeed Dawn Kightley at the Edward Worlledge Ormiston Academy when she retires from the role at the end of the academic year.
Mr Thompson currently serves as vice principal at Ormiston Herman Academy, which is also a primary school within the Ormiston Acadamies Trust (OAT) network.
Mr Thompson has more than 15 years of experience and in his current role he is responsible for teaching, learning, assessment and enrichment.
During his time at Ormiston Herman, the academy has consistently achieved above the national average in all measures.
In January of last year, in its first inspection since joining OAT, Ormiston Herman Academy was rated ‘good’ by Ofsted with ‘outstanding’ early years provision.
Mr Thompson was born in Great Yarmouth and previously served as a borough councillor for 16 years.
- 1 Former pub and nightclub up for auction in Great Yarmouth
- 2 Yarmouth market's pea and pie stall to close after 65 years
- 3 Street food kitchen set to open in Gorleston
- 4 Police hunt wanted man with links along Norfolk and Waveney coast
- 5 Madness fans plan mass Yarmouth coaster ride to mark 40th milestone
- 6 Man found dead in sea off Great Yarmouth had made distress call
- 7 Man robbed of £2,000 laptop after 'terrifying' Facebook Marketplace meet-up
- 8 Great Yarmouth man charged with burglary and fraud charges
- 9 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 10 Bid to rebuild fire-hit holiday centre on coast
He said: “I am thrilled to be joining the fantastic team at Edward Worlledge Ormiston Academy and to be remaining part of the OAT family, in an area and community that I grew up in and know so well.
“I look forward to working closely with pupils, parents, carers and staff at the academy to continue to make it a fantastic place to learn and grow.”
Outgoing principal, Mrs Kightley, begun her teaching career in 1981 and has taught in four different schools across the Great Yarmouth area.
She said: “I am delighted that Mark Thompson has been appointed to take my place as principal upon my retirement.
“Mark shares my belief in the transformative power of education and I am confident that he is the very best person for role and I will be leaving the academy in safe hands.
“I would like to take the opportunity to thank everyone at Edward Worlledge and OAT for their support, commitment and enthusiasm during my time as principal, which has helped to make the academy such a happy and caring place, where pupils support one another and thrive.
“I wish staff and pupils at the academy every success and look forward to seeing Edward Worlledge Ormiston Academy go from strength to strength.”