‘Local girl born and bred’ to take up reins at Norfolk academy
- Credit: OAT
The new principal of Flegg High Ormiston Academy has been announced.
From September Kate Williams, the current vice principal at Ormiston Venture Academy in Gorleston, will take the reins at Flegg in Martham after the school joined the trust in February.
It follows the departure of Dr Simon Fox who left at Easter to become deputy principal at East Norfolk Sixth Form College.
Since then the school has been led by interim principal, Ross Li-Rocchi who will remain in post until the new academic year, when Mrs Williams joins the school.
MORE: Prepare to say goodbye to Flegg High School headteacher Dr Simon FoxShe said: “I am delighted to have been appointed as the new principal at Flegg High Ormiston Academy.
“I very much look forward to getting started in September and to working closely with staff, students, parents and the whole school community, to ensure that the academy provides students with the very best education possible and supports them to fulfil their potential.”
It is a first headship for Mrs Williams, 40, a former Great Yarmouth High School pupil who lives in Gorleston, and describes herself as a ‘Yarmouth girl born and bred.’
Her own 11-year-old daughter will start at Venture in September.
- 1 Former pub and nightclub up for auction in Great Yarmouth
- 2 Madness fans plan mass Yarmouth coaster ride to mark 40th milestone
- 3 Man found dead in sea off Great Yarmouth had made distress call
- 4 Police hunt wanted man with links along Norfolk and Waveney coast
- 5 Street food kitchen set to open in Gorleston
- 6 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 7 Police carry out Street Safe patrols in north of town
- 8 Ask the Mercury: is a new Costa branch coming to Yarmouth?
- 9 Gorleston business warns of 'tough times' as inflation peaks
- 10 Customers travelling across Norfolk to try pub's 'afternoon sea'
“What you do needs to be good enough for your own children,” she said. “And I am 100pc committed.”
Peter Spencer, chair of the governing body, said: “We are delighted that Kate Williams will be Flegg High Ormiston Academy’s new principal.
“We are confident that Kate is the right person for the role. She already knows the area and local community well and her expertise in driving school improvement, promoting high standards and achievement, will be a fantastic addition to the team.”
Gwayne Webb, regional director for OAT, said: “Kate is hardworking and extremely dedicated, with a wealth of experience.
“As a member of the senior leadership team at Ormiston Venture Academy, she has played a central role in driving the academy’s success.
A letter to parents praised Mr Li-Rocchi’s success in the role so far and particularly his new Respect for Learning scheme which had been well received.
It added: “The governors and staff look forward to welcoming Mrs Williams into the Flegg family.”