Shot put star Sophie passes on top tips to Rollesby pupils
- Credit: Archant
A sports star has visited a school in her home borough to give pupils top tips on being a shot putter.
Sophie McKinna, who came fifth in the Commonwealth Games with a personal best of 17.76m in the shot put, popped into Rollesby Primary School to see children in Mercury class.
The children had been learning how to throw the shot put and had written letters to the athlete.
She answered all the children’s questions, explaining about her training and diet, her competitions and shared her collection of impressive medals. The children were surprised by the weight of her shot put and were astounded how far the 23-year-old could throw it.
A spokesman for the school said: “All the children were inspired by their local athlete Sophie’s hard work and ambition and are excited to see her again at her next event at the county championships at the University of East Anglia.”
You may also want to watch:
The Commonwealth competition was won by Jamaica’s Danniel Thomas-Dodd with a throw of 19.36m.
- 1 Weekly fireworks making 'spectacular' return to seafront
- 2 Gas worker on meter round stumbles on cannabis factory with 90 plants
- 3 Motorcyclist in hospital with serious injuries after crash
- 4 Live music returning to Great Yarmouth seafront
- 5 Free 'interview haircuts' for jobseekers in coastal town
- 6 Bid for grocery store in end-of-terrace house
- 7 Traders look back on devastating Great Yarmouth fire
- 8 Appeal to find missing man from Gorleston
- 9 Jailed in July: Drug dealing, knife crime and manslaughter
- 10 TV presenter Stephen Mulhern spotted filming pop-up game show in Yarmouth