Shot put star Sophie passes on top tips to Rollesby pupils
- Credit: Archant
A sports star has visited a school in her home borough to give pupils top tips on being a shot putter.
Sophie McKinna, who came fifth in the Commonwealth Games with a personal best of 17.76m in the shot put, popped into Rollesby Primary School to see children in Mercury class.
The children had been learning how to throw the shot put and had written letters to the athlete.
She answered all the children’s questions, explaining about her training and diet, her competitions and shared her collection of impressive medals. The children were surprised by the weight of her shot put and were astounded how far the 23-year-old could throw it.
A spokesman for the school said: “All the children were inspired by their local athlete Sophie’s hard work and ambition and are excited to see her again at her next event at the county championships at the University of East Anglia.”
The Commonwealth competition was won by Jamaica’s Danniel Thomas-Dodd with a throw of 19.36m.
- 1 Gorleston road closed for five months for new manhole and tunnel
- 2 MTV heading to Great Yarmouth for 'ultimate weekend'
- 3 Man kicked incontinent Doberman after it left mess
- 4 New bus service to link Great Yarmouth with two major airports
- 5 Holiday flats bid for seafront hotel after homes plan rejected
- 6 Man on cocktail of drugs arrested after hitting 73mph in 30mph limit
- 7 Man accused of woman's murder in Gorleston unfit to enter plea
- 8 Data shows Yarmouth among least vaccinated areas of UK
- 9 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 10 Christmas parties go ahead in Great Yarmouth as caution warned