Dinosaur mascot hopes to be a monster hit at Gorleston school
- Credit: Archant
Say hello to the borough of Great Yarmouth’s latest mascot - Vinny the Venture Velociraptor.
The red dinosaur has been unveiled as the mascot for the Gorleston-based Ormiston Venture Academy thanks to the efforts of the school’s student board.
The students on the Union of Venture Students Executive Board decided they wanted to design and outfit a mascot that would represent the academy, supports its representative teams and create extra community spirit.
MORE; can you guess the mascot?Vinny has already proven a great hit with students, and along with settling into his new surroundings, the dinosaur has been busy supporting the netball and basketball teams by being the special guest referee at an inter college dodgeball competition.
The new mascot has also been given the role of Santa Claws at the Winter Wonderland rewards disco and the Venture Christmas Fayre on Wednesday, December 13.
MORE; remember these Norwich City mascots?Vinny has also been quick to get himself onto social media and can be found on twitter @venture_vinny and even has a calendar for 2018 planned that will be on sale at the Christmas Fayre, which will be open to the community from 11am-12pm.
The Union of Venture Students Executive Board have further plans to develop the Vinny brand and the support around him and plan to make sure he is visible at all kind of events linked to the academy in the remainder of the academic year and beyond.
You may also want to watch:
The academy’s head boy Cameron Hodds was delighted with the outcome of the finished design for Vinny.
He said: “The Union love how Vinny has turned out, almost exactly what we pictured, the best bit about him is he will help to raise academy spirit and help us with our aims of increasing community inclusion and togetherness.”
MORE; mascots ready to racePrincipal of Ormiston Venture Academy, Simon Gilbert-Barnham, said: “Student voice is a hugely valued part of Venture and also ensuring our students take a lead with their school.
- 1 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
- 2 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 3 Rogue builder's victims say home is 'finally watertight' one year on
- 4 Tributes to 'Winkle' - the legendary landlord who broke the mould
- 5 New wave of beach huts snapped up in Gorleston
- 6 Mansion for sale for £2.5million with helicopter pad
- 7 Head teacher: 'It's not true that nobody from Great Yarmouth goes to uni'
- 8 Police concerned for welfare of missing 14-year-old girl
- 9 Community garden to close permanently due to Covid funding crisis
- 10 Mystery mural found in back street sparks hunt for artist
“The students wanted a mascot to create a real celebration feel at events and sports fixtures.
“Vinny is already a part of our Venture family.”
Vinny may also be able take part in the annual mascots race at Great Yarmouth racecourse, held every bank holiday August.
The Union of Venture Students Executive Board is headed up by 22 Year 10 students.