Family tribute to Acle man found dead at Norfolk church
Anthony Carroll The family of a 27-year-old who was found dead in the grounds of a Norfolk church have paid tribute to him this morning.Stephen Monument's body was found on a pathway at St Andrew's Church, North Burlingham, near Norwich on Wednesday morning.
The family of a 27-year-old who was found dead in the grounds of a Norfolk church have paid tribute to him this morning.
Stephen Monument's body was found on a pathway at St Andrew's Church, North Burlingham, near Norwich on Wednesday morning.
Mr Monument, who lived in Beighton Road Acle, is believed to have broken into the church and then attempted to abseil down its tower.
You may also want to watch:
This morning his family issued a statement through Norfolk police.
It says: “Stephen was a caring, loving son, adored by his brother Robert and two sisters Cheryl and Tracey.
- 1 Drone photo shows £26m seafront leisure centre taking shape
- 2 'Water runs down the walls' - Woman, 65, hits out at mouldy council flat
- 3 Norfolk and Suffolk Election 2021: Low turnout in Great Yarmouth
- 4 What's opening in Great Yarmouth from May 17?
- 5 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 6 Buy a B&B as nine for sale in 'boom year' for budget hotels
- 7 Man charged with having more than 220,000 indecent images of children
- 8 Man jailed after abducting 14-year-old girl
- 9 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
- 10 Man dies after being found unresponsive in car at retail park
“His two nieces and two nephews loved him dearly as he loved them.
“They loved his funny ways and we as a family had some lovely family parties where Stephen entertained everyone. We will treasure the photos we have of those occasions.
“We all miss him terribly and will never get over the loss - we are devastated.”
“Stephen had worked abroad for some years but would spend his time off at home with the family.
“We, as his parents, would like to thank everyone for their kindness and support. It is a comfort to us to know how much people loved Stephen.”
Mr Monument, who went to Acle Primary and High School, had hoped to join the Royal Marines but an injury prevented him form fulfilling that ambition.
An internet tribute website has also been set up in memory of Mr Monument with friends describing him as “One of the nicest guys I will ever meet” and “We could always rely on you to put a smile on our faces.”
Mr Monument's body was found just before 10am on Wednesday at the 15th century church.
Police are not treating his death as suspicious.
His funeral will be held at St Edmund's Church in Acle on Wednesday, December 23 at 10:30am.