Search

Hospital feeding tube put into the wrong place

PUBLISHED: 16:25 27 March 2019 | UPDATED: 08:28 28 March 2019

A feeding tube was inserted into the wrong place at James Paget University Hospital in February 2019. Byline: Sonya Duncan Copyright: Archant 2016

A feeding tube was inserted into the wrong place at James Paget University Hospital in February 2019. Byline: Sonya Duncan Copyright: Archant 2016

ARCHANT EASTERN DAILY PRESS (01603) 772434

A tube which was supposed to be put into a patient’s stomach was instead put into a lung.

It happened last month at James Paget University Hospital in Gorleston - and was so serious it was deemed a ‘never event’, or a situation which should never happen.

The incident involved a patient who had a feeding tube inserted to the stomach.

The tube became partially withdrawn by the patient and on re-insertion was incorrectly inserted into the lung.

The mistake was identified by staff, confirmed via x-ray and the tube removed.

A new tube was then re-inserted to the stomach and there was no harm to the patient.

Misplacing the tube can be fatal and the NHS put out an alert over these incidents in 2016.

Director of Nursing Julia Hunt said: “Clearly, we don’t expect to see any never events at our hospital. However on the rare occasion when one does occur, we take the matter extremely seriously and conduct a thorough investigation to establish if there is any learning that can be taken forward to prevent any future occurrence.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Great Yarmouth Mercury. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the Great Yarmouth Mercury