Search

Fire death in house piled with papers

PUBLISHED: 10:42 29 May 2009 | UPDATED: 14:02 03 July 2010

'Lovely lady': Grace Crome died in a fire at her home in Bradwell.

'Lovely lady': Grace Crome died in a fire at her home in Bradwell.

AN elderly woman who piled her Norfolk home full of hoarded items died as a result of the habit, an inquest heard yesterday.

Grace Lilian Crome, 91, died on New Year's Eve after a blaze broke out in her home in Bradwell, near Yarmouth, when a heater caused some nearby hoarded items to catch fire.

AN elderly woman who piled her Norfolk home full of hoarded items died as a result of the habit, an inquest heard yesterday.

Grace Lilian Crome, 91, died on New Year's Eve after a blaze broke out in her home in Bradwell, near Yarmouth, when a heater caused some nearby hoarded items to catch fire.

Miss Crome had stockpiled so many items they totally filled her living room. Firefighters tackling the deadly blaze found the piles reached chest height.

Yesterday's inquest, held at Yarmouth Magistrates' Court, heard that Miss Crome had died from smoke inhalation as a result of the fire.

Her neighbour and second cousin Elsie Hall said that she had tried to persuade her relative to remove some of the hoard, which included papers and holiday memorabilia.

Giving evidence to deputy coroner Nicholas Holroyd, Mrs Hall said: “I asked her many times to have a blitz. She would not let anyone touch anything.”

Miss Crome, who had lived in her Beccles Road home since 1945, was found lying dead by her hallway by firefighters.

David Kennedy, Yarmouth fire station manager, said: “It was a small smouldering type of fire. However, the house was fully smoked-logged throughout. You could not have seen your hand in front of your face. The junk that was in the premises reached chest level.”

Miss Crome was said to have been in good health at the time of the fire - although she was hard of hearing. She had a smoke alarm but it had been destroyed by the blaze.

Mr Holroyd recorded a verdict of accidental death.

He said: “The condition of the house inside was unusual. She hoarded everything.

“It was her habit to accumulate items, I hesitate to call it junk, in her home and despite Mrs Hall's efforts she continued to accumulate.

“The cause of the fire would appear to have been the use of a halogen heater in the hallway. It was heat from that heater that caused something to catch fire and this caused the tragic incident.”

Miss Crome was born in Yarmouth in 1917 and never married or had children. She had worked for BT in Norwich and been a member of a gardening club and the Yaresiders folk dance group.

At the time of Miss Crome's death, Mrs Hall paid tribute to her second cousin by saying: “She was a lovely lady. A real old fashioned lady. She loved her gardening and was always telling me to stop fussing over her.”

Other News

45 minutes ago

The inquest into the death of a three-year-old girl who died after being thrown from an inflatable trampoline on Gorleston beach has been adjourned because a police report into the incident is not ready.

The head of a coastal hospital which is the only one in Norfolk not failing has announced she will leave.

13:11

Carpetright is considering further changes to its store portfolio across East Anglia as it handles stinging losses.

Plans for a former pub to be turned into a luxury tobacconist have been put under fire by a nearby health centre, with bosses arguing it would “give out entirely the wrong message”.

Most Read

Yesterday, 18:00

School trips usually involve taking children to see one of Shakespeare’s great plays or visiting a historic museum.

Read more

Plans for a former pub to be turned into a luxury tobacconist have been put under fire by a nearby health centre, with bosses arguing it would “give out entirely the wrong message”.

Read more
NHS
Yesterday, 11:42

Would you like to play a major part in restoring one of Great Yarmouth’s most historic tourist attractions to its former glory?

Read more
Barry Coleman
Yesterday, 09:21

A joyrider was arrested after crashing into a traffic bollard - and was found to be more than three times the legal driving limit when police breathalysed him.

Read more
Great Yarmouth police
Yesterday, 16:38

Tears of joy streamed down the face of staff members who watched the magical moment a woman, who was left paralysed by a stroke, stood on her own two feet for the first time in 15 years.

Read more
Gorleston

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 8°C

min temp: 1°C

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the Great
Yarmouth Mercury

e-edition today

Subscribe

Newsletter Sign Up

Great Yarmouth Mercury weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy